Author Topic: Crashing Constantly  (Read 6190 times)

SPC (Ret) Tellez

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Crashing Constantly
« on: June 11, 2018, 08:31:58 PM »
So I have been having a problem with crashing. Im afraid its my cpu/motherboard because thats the most expensive. Currently running AMD FX 8350 8 Core and M5A97 PLUS (does not support overclocking). Also running Corsair H60 HydroCooled CPU Cooler and EVGA NEX750G. Can I get some help with this?
C. TELLEZ
SPC, USA
Retired

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
Re: Crashing Constantly
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »
When did it start happening? Did anything change around the time it started?
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired

SPC (Ret) Tellez

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 11:28:03 PM »
About the second operation for TFB operation thunderstorm
C. TELLEZ
SPC, USA
Retired

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »
is it just in arma? is it the application crashing? the entire computer? any error messages?
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

SPC (Ret) Tellez

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
It's the entire computer. Possibly watchdog time out error, but that was only once. Every time it crashes I could leave it on all night and it will stay that way untill I hard reset the computer. And it happends with different applications at random
C. TELLEZ
SPC, USA
Retired

CPT L. McCoy

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »
Is it the classic "blue screen of death" crash?  That could be an indication of a failing or corrupted HDD.
L. MCCOY
CPT, USA
Commanding Officer, Co A\1-506 Infantry

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
alright, do me a favor and watch the temperatures, a program like speccy can do that. It might be a overheat issue if it happens at random but frequently when running games.

a failing component is very likely too, but the temperature is easier to get a good look at :)

If it is running 80c or more it might be a problem, if it is less it is probably not that.
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA

SGT P. Connor

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
I had a few crashes lately: BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA resulting in having to completely reinstall my system. I couldn't find the f***k out what caused the crashes but today I think I was able to nail it down. :knock on wood:
By any chance do you use any Razer device and G Data as antivirus? In my case there seems to be a conflict between both drivers...
P. CONNOR
SGT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SGT Perkinson

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
I had a few crashes lately: BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA resulting in having to completely reinstall my system. I couldn't find the f***k out what caused the crashes but today I think I was able to nail it down. :knock on wood:
By any chance do you use any Razer device and G Data as antivirus? In my case there seems to be a conflict between both drivers...
I had the BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA a few months ago, it turned out to be a failing stick of RAM.
S. PERKINSON
SGT, USA

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »
I second monitoring temperatures and testing memory.

If you built the computer there is a possibility the thermal compound you applied to the CPU was of a lower quality or possibly applied incorrectly. That's an easy stone to turn before replacing components, and is a good thing to do every year or so depending on how much of a workload you place on your CPU.
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV

SPC (Ret) Tellez

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
I second monitoring temperatures and testing memory.

If you built the computer there is a possibility the thermal compound you applied to the CPU was of a lower quality or possibly applied incorrectly. That's an easy stone to turn before replacing components, and is a good thing to do every year or so depending on how much of a workload you place on your CPU.

Considering how much I play Arma and the CPU Load skyrockets during platoon size events, Ill be sure to start monitoring heat as well as memory fail. Thanks guys. Also, I dont remember if someone applied heat compound and I Certainly don't know how to.
C. TELLEZ
SPC, USA
Retired

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
did you build the pc on your own? Probably someone 'did' apply paste if you purchased it from someone else, otherwise you would have had the heat issue a loooot sooner. It is fairly straightforward to apply and the paste costs like a dollar. It is however not without 'some' risk, its easy to find a youtube video to show you how to do it, if you still feel uncertain about the process a local IT store should be able to do it (although it might cost you) If heat IS the issue it is a good idea to atleast look at the layer of paste as it might be old, however, i dont advise looking before after you have had a look at the temperatures
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 08:25:14 PM »
If the paste is the culprit, (use HWMonitor to check temperatures), a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol is what you need to use in order to remove the old thermal compound from the CPU and heatsink. Really simple.
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV

SPC (Ret) Tellez

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
I caught a slight glimpse at my CPU Core Temp and it looks like it hovers around 40% and then shoots up to 80% load capacity. Looks like i'm gonna try to redo my thermal compound.

So I've had some time to do some research (not that there was a lot to do for it) and it turns out removing thermal compound paste is easy. The new compound I have seen (Grizzly Compound) has had a CPU Core Temp drop from 15 to 30 degrees. Since this is the cheaper option, Ill give this a shot.

In the case this does not work, I do have the stock CPU fan instead of my Corsair Hybrid cooler. I heard they keep Core Temps cooler than liquid cooled ones. Wish me luck guys!
C. TELLEZ
SPC, USA
Retired