Author Topic: Building PC advice  (Read 12918 times)

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Re: Building PC advice
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 03:17:40 PM »
I don't see any case fans in most of the linked builds, so whatever case you get, make sure it either comes with fans pre-installed, or purchase fans to install into your case. You'll have to look at your case specs to see which fans to get.

Choosing which case was the biggest headache of my build and took the longest to decide on!!!!! But like the LT said fan selection and location can be very important for a good clean positive airflow.
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

Bingham

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »
Make sure you just go onto that website to ascertain the compatability of the components together. Parts websites won't tell you if it will work with other brands of components, etc. So just make sure you do yourself the favour.
Actually I believe Pc Part picker does make sure it's compaitable. It even told me that my graphics card would possibly block one of my hard drive bays in my case.

Leeds

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
Actually I believe Pc Part picker does make sure it's compaitable. It even told me that my graphics card would possibly block one of my hard drive bays in my case.

Yes indeed, that's the point I was making; to go and utilize that site if you're compiling parts elsewhere

Kiefer

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »
I got a Geforce GTX 960 with an i5-4590. It runs everything we do great, 40-60 pretty strong, dependant on what's going on, but doesn't really drop noticeably during those extreme engagements.

Get a better processor (i7 variant) if you can afford it. And make sure to get a decent processor heat sink (cpu cooler) 30$ or more.
Work around these specs and you'll be pretty happy. I run everything on high-ultra no problems.

I've heard bad things about the 980ti.

EVGA 980Ti here, no problems so far. There is a lot more coil whine under heavy load than I'm used to, but with my headphones on I can't hear any of it.

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
I got a Geforce GTX 960 with an i5-4590. It runs everything we do great, 40-60 pretty strong, dependant on what's going on, but doesn't really drop noticeably during those extreme engagements.

Get a better processor (i7 variant) if you can afford it. And make sure to get a decent processor heat sink (cpu cooler) 30$ or more.
Work around these specs and you'll be pretty happy. I run everything on high-ultra no problems.

EVGA 980Ti here, no problems so far. There is a lot more coil whine under heavy load than I'm used to, but with my headphones on I can't hear any of it.

Kiefer do you have a reference cooler or ACX? On my 780ti reference cooler it has always had coil whine over 400fps.
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) J. Patterson

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »

Kiefer do you have a reference cooler or ACX? On my 780ti reference cooler it has always had coil whine over 400fps.

I can't speak to that card, but when I first got my 7950 it whined like crazy. A few months later it stopped or decreased to where I can hardly hear it now....also helps that I got a nice and quiet case. Fractal design S.

It is all luck of the draw when it comes to coil whine, usually the more power hungry the card or depending on what application is using on the card, you may experience a great deal of whine. Unfortunately Arma is one of those programs.
J. PATTERSON
SSG, USA
Retired

Wyngaard

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »
Thanks to all you guys for the info. Got everything picked out, now just time to go through and buy it all then the hastle of putting it together thank you CPT. Whitby for the video to help me through that shitstorm. :D Posting a pic of the beautiful beast when shes done.