Author Topic: Oculus Rift Pre-orders opened up  (Read 9049 times)

Powell

Oculus Rift Pre-orders opened up
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculus-rift-pre-orders-now-open-first-shipments-march-28/

So who else is getting one? I've already went to Household 6 Congress and currently employing lobbyists to get the measure passed for approval for me to acquire one. I think I've pretty much sealed the deal. Thankfully the 5th amendment allows me to not divulge what I've had to promise or do to get the deal approved.

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
Re: Oculus Rift Pre-orders opened up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »
I'd have to sell a kidney before considering that amount of Money. I'm happy with my TrackIR lol
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

Eagas

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
I have Oculus Rift DK2.  I couldnt last much more than 25 mins before getting motion sickness. 

I think that Open Source Virtual Reality will end up being better in the long run.  It is also $300 less expensive then the Oculus Rift.
http://www.razerzone.com/osvr-hacker-dev-kit

I recommend anyone that is considering VR gaming to get Google Cardboard and watch some 360 videos on a loop to see how long they can deal with the VR environment.  A cardboard kit is only $10.

Powell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
I am not sure what all is involved in customizing the set to your head and the distance between your eyes, but someone with a Samsung Gear VR at work had me try that on and for me, I didn't see 1 3D object but instead two seperate 2D objects there were not properly over-layed. I think there are some configurations that must take place. I don't think this "solves" the sickness part but will do a lot to help.

SSG (Ret) J. Patterson

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:01:26 PM »
Does the $1500 price tag include a PC?  ;D
J. PATTERSON
SSG, USA
Retired

Bryer

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
So a friend of mine is a VR developer and has these products in his hands so I got to try them out.

VR is very capable of making you barf all over yourself. Of course, that is extreme and highly dependent on what you are viewing. Various levels of vertigo are easily possible. As is smacking your head into the wall because you are trying to avoid something that your brain is tricked into thinking is coming at you at high velocity. And I do mean 'tricked'...hardcore.

'Hyper-immersion' is the term that comes to mind.

They have it down pat but last I saw (about 2 months ago) the resolution is not what we have come to expect. I am told that is no longer the case but I haven't seen it.

Anyway, it's not just a game changer. That term will not do it justice in the next 10 years.

Powell

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »

It's $599. The $1500 or something is for PC capable of utilizing Oculus. The thing requires a minimum of Nvidia GTX 970 (or AMD equivalent), which is $350+ of that price.

They have it down pat but last I saw (about 2 months ago) the resolution is not what we have come to expect. I am told that is no longer the case but I haven't seen it.

The dk2 had a resolution of 960 x 1080 per eye but still it was blurry and hard to see text on the screen. the release version is supposedly vastly improve that, which is why it requires such a higher graphics card.
<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB9ZrBSNg_4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB9ZrBSNg_4</a>
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:20:18 PM by WO1 Powell »

SSG (Ret) J. Patterson

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »

It's $599. The $1500 or something is for PC capable of utilizing Oculus. The thing requires a minimum of Nvidia GTX 970, which is $350+ of that price.

Oh, well $599 is still....steep. At least it isn't $1500, that would be insane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHqG1nc_tw
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:26:10 PM by SGT J. Patterson »
J. PATTERSON
SSG, USA
Retired

Powell

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 08:27:23 PM »
The dk2 had a resolution of 960 x 1080 per eye but still it was blurry and hard to see text on the screen. the release version is supposedly vastly improve that, which is why it requires such a higher graphics card.

Seems like the Consumer version has a resolution of 1080×1200 per eye, compared to the dk2 which has 960x1080.

Powell

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
Also be advised, the current backorder is clogged all the way to May and perhaps further at this point. So even though you can order it, expect several months before the orders get caught up due to obscenely high number of orders. They sold out of the entire currently produced stock in 14 minutes after opening up pre-orders.

Eagas

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 06:45:43 PM »
I am not sure what all is involved in customizing the set to your head and the distance between your eyes, but someone with a Samsung Gear VR at work had me try that on and for me, I didn't see 1 3D object but instead two seperate 2D objects there were not properly over-layed. I think there are some configurations that must take place. I don't think this "solves" the sickness part but will do a lot to help.

The sickness part comes due to having no visual input from your true fixed location.   While looking at a screen, your peripheral vision detects the stationary environment around you.  Your motion sensation and visual sensations are in sync. 
With immersive 3d goggles, you do not have visual input from  your true fixed location.  Your motion sensation and visual sensations are not in sync.