Author Topic: Decisions Decisions. Care to offer an opinion?  (Read 3356 times)

AvtharRaggus

Decisions Decisions. Care to offer an opinion?
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:16:50 AM »
Hello All
I want to join a realism unit. I have researched several units and so far the two best options are you guys and the 15th MEU. I am relatively set with the 15th but the 506th is definitely an option. But what does the 506th have/do that the Marines do not?
I don't mean to incite competition but I am curious as to your opinions on what the 506th can offer me as a prospective realism gamer.
Why should I pick the 506th? in your opinion
Thanks for all the help
Avthar Raggus

Maple

Re: Decisions Decisions. Care to offer an opinion?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:40:04 AM »
The 15th have a focus on combined arms warfare, with tanks, APC's, Light Armoured Recon etc.

The 506 IR have a primary focus on infantry combat. We have some support assets such as fixed-wing and rotary airframes and bradleys but these assets are used more sparingly.

In all honesty, they're both good units. If you're looking for realism you can't go wrong with either choice. Despite the 506's more focused approach, I still enjoy my time as a support asset.

There are minor differences, we have a policy where fun in some circumstances is taken as priority over 100% realism but it honestly comes down to whenever you think the USMC or the Army is 'cooler'.

SGT (Ret) Dennis

• 12B Combat Engineer
  • Retired
Re: Decisions Decisions. Care to offer an opinion?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
Honestly, both units are extremely similar in the ways that they operate. WO1 Wilde hit the nail on the head, though. If you join either unit as an infantryman, you will have a very similar experience. The only difference is the 15th works with a few more support assets than the 506th does.

After serving in both units for awhile, it's a toss-up. Flip a coin. Or just go with whatever your cup of tea is. I've had ridiculous fun in both units.
W. DENNIS
SGT, USA
Retired