Author Topic: improving fps?  (Read 9260 times)

B. Cavanaugh

Re: improving fps?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
DirectX 12 support is coming in the Tanoa expansion next year, so there's that.
GPU improvements have nothing to do with how Arma 3's game engine "processes" in game performance.

The game engine was designed to utilize cpu power rather than gpu power and efficiency.  If Arma 3 took full advantage of muticores (which it does not) then sure, I'd be hopeful too, that DX12 would offer a marked improvement to our beloved game.  Since Arma 3's game engine does NOT function that way, don't expect a huge improvement if your still running on an AMD processor after the launch of DX12.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

What's realistic? I'd expect anywhere from Microsoft's claims of 50-percent improvement all the way to the what we're seeing here in Futuremark's test.   Here's what to walk away with ---->  This will depend very much on the kind of game and the coding behind it.

The reality is this test is a theoretical test, although one made with advice from Microsoft and the GPU vendors. This test reveals the potential, but translating that potential into an actual game isn't quite as easy.

Remember Arma 3 isn't coded in a fashion that will make huge gains from DX12.
What's this all mean?
 If you want Arma 3 to run the best it can and you have spare cash.
Intel .

E. Ray

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »
DirectX 12 support is coming in the Tanoa expansion next year, so there's that.
GPU improvements have nothing to do with how Arma 3's game engine "processes" in game performance.

The game engine was designed to utilize cpu power rather than gpu power and efficiency.

I've said as much in many other threads. However, DX12 does allow the GPU to talk to all CPU cores simultaneously, so it does allow for a form of CPU multithreading. There should be some sort benefit, however limited, to implementing DX12. Given the amount of work involved in adding DX12 support, I don't believe Bohemia would bother if there wasn't some sort of benefit.

But DX12 isn't a magic potion, either, so even if it does yield benefits, we're still going to have performance issues.

B. Cavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Hey we can always hope for an optimized Arma 4 right ? ;)