Author Topic: Helping you identify your PC specs  (Read 11332 times)

Biggs

Helping you identify your PC specs
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:09:10 AM »

Although most of us should hopefully be well aware what our PC specifications are, and what our PC is capable of, there are many who can't seem to find specific information about their specifications outside of the generic PC settings.

There are several tools online that you can use to help you to identify what your PC specs are, what they do and what they are capable of. One such tool is Piriform Speccy, which provides a great amount of detail about your system specifications and their usage.

It provides a full overview on your operating system, as well as the CPU such as the speed of each cores. It also provides information about your RAM usage and Graphics, and it gives you the technical specifications on the Motherboard too.

*click to enlarge

It even gives you an overview of your storage systems, optical drives, the audio enhancements you may have as well as peripherals, such as your mouse and keyboard. And, you can also view your link speed as it analyses your network as well.

If you wish to download this software, click here or the link above and click the 'Download' link on page. It will then take you some options. There is a paid-for version, but I haven't personally used this. You just need to click on one of the download links for the free version. I'd recommend getting it from Piriform.com directly.

Let me know what you think. I've been using this for a while now, and I've always relied on it to just review my specifications. I hope this helps some people!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:13:13 AM by PFC Biggs »

Kovac

Re: Helping you identify your PC specs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:20:34 AM »
Hey,

I have a question, how much FPS do you get with that FX 6300, and the r9 (which one do you have)?

Biggs

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »
R9 270X.

On servers with a small number of people, I can achieve a smooth 40.

In the 15th I was getting an average of about 15-20 frames on operations... now I get 25-30. Not great, but I'm unable to increase my PC budget until next year. I wouldn't recommend purchasing AMD CPUs if you plan on playing ArmA 3, but the graphics card is very good - it hasn't done me wrong on any game so far.

Kovac

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
I believe the GPU(r9 270x) is bottlenecking your CPU, since FX6300 is not a true 6 core:
It has 3 bulldozer modules which each count as 2 cores.
Basically at 'worst' it counts as 3 cores for certain kinds of operations and at best as 6 cores.
So in that sense it is not a 'true' 6 core CPU.

So it is same as if you called i7 4770k a 8 core because it has 4 true cores and 8 threads (2 threads can be as good as 1/2 of a core all the way up to 1 core)

To prevent bottlenecking you will have to overclock your CPU. Helped my friend in 15th, he gained atleast 5-10 fps which is alot in low fps game. But he has a r9 280x so it might not be same for you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:59:03 AM by Kovac »

Oscar_Geare

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
I believe the GPU(r9 270x) is bottlenecking your CPU, since FX6300 is not a true 6 core:
It has 3 bulldozer modules which each count as 2 cores.
Basically at 'worst' it counts as 3 cores for certain kinds of operations and at best as 6 cores.
So in that sense it is not a 'true' 6 core CPU.

So it is same as if you called i7 4770k a 8 core because it has 4 true cores and 8 threads (2 threads can be as good as 1/2 of a core all the way up to 1 core)

To prevent bottlenecking you will have to overclock your CPU. Helped my friend in 15th, he gained atleast 5-10 fps which is alot in low fps game. But he has a r9 280x so it might not be same for you.

ArmA doesn't like AMD CPUs. I had a full AMD system - 280X and can't remember what CPU - and I OC'd them and gained very little. As soon as I got an i5, however, I was holding a solid ~30ish during 15th ops.

Now with a 980 I'm getting ~30-40 (need to upgrade my CPU, and I'm running a 4K screen), however it'll drop down to ~20 then peak back up when everyone deploys fucking smoke or I get into a shitty firefight.. Seriously - you all know that the max you can really throw is like 8-12 and then they start not rendering.

C. Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »
my 8350 works just fine.. i dunno

Kovac

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:04:37 PM »
my 8350 works just fine.. i dunno
It already runns on 4ghz and it is a similar as 6300, but instead it has 4 modules with 2 cores, So it is a at lowest 4 core and at best a 8 core. That is why it runs good compared to 6300.