Author Topic: JOIN THE WEAPONS SQUAD!!!  (Read 29985 times)

McIntosh

Re: JOIN THE WEAPONS SQUAD!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »
I would like nothing more then to join a weapons squad as a machine gunner.

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »
A new recruit recently asked me to describe the differences between operating with a Weapons squad vs. a Rifle squad.  Here's what I came up with:

80% of the time you're runnin' and gunnin' just like a Rifle squad - we participate in urban assaults, clear houses and compounds, pull security, etc. - everything a Rifle squad does.  About 20% of the time we are positioned in an elevated Support By Fire location to provide overwatch on the rest of the platoon as they run 'n gun. 

At first glance you think "That must be boring, just sitting there watching everyone else shoot 'n scoot," but on the contrary - with an elevated position, ultra-long-range weapons and thermal scopes, we often see more action (and get more kills) sitting on an SBF than we would in the thick of the assault.

I've been with the unit for almost a year now and for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would want to be on a plain old Rifle squad when they could instead be playing with the Big Boy Toys in Weapons. 

I'll post a few Weapons-centric vids below:
<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8YHaD67A_8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8YHaD67A_8</a>
<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJCuIsTZDKU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJCuIsTZDKU</a>
<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Xc7oY-LA4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Xc7oY-LA4</a>
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 05:10:47 PM by SGT Lyon »
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

S. Murphy

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »
Though not part of the Weapons Sqd BUT have done it before elsewhere.  It can be AMAZING!!  Never done it, what do you have to lose??  It honestly can be a Ball!! 

Al The Way!!

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »
There's nothing like hearing those desperate calls over the radio "We're pinned down by a T-72!" and you're like, "I got this..."    8)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:38:29 PM by SGT Lyon »
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

1SG J. Brewer

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »
We say "goodbye" like no one else can.

<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEBb_KLNI5M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEBb_KLNI5M</a>
J. BREWER
1SG, USA
First Sergeant, Co A\1-506 Infantry

J. Wade

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 06:23:47 PM »
Hey guys,

RCT Wade here. When I deployed to Afghanistan in '09, I fired multiple Karl Gustav 84mm HEDP rounds at the Taliban.

Here's a video of it (my deployment video, I made it) —

<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxdh8yMVVOE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxdh8yMVVOE</a>

I am REALLY considering joining the Weapons Squad because I really loved playing with the KG. I signed up as an 11B, however.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:25:56 PM by JoWade »

Montana

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 02:24:45 PM »
Is that you in the tactical shorts? Lol nice vid, looks like you guys kicked some ass!

J. Wade

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
Yes! Lolll

TAPOUT shorts and Crocs with the Karl Gustav! :)

Is that you in the tactical shorts? Lol nice vid, looks like you guys kicked some ass!

1LT (Ret) Burke

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
Havoc 2-4 has open positions for the Close Combat Missile teams!  If you'd like to blow the hell out of things with extreme prejudice, now's a great time to apply!
B. BURKE
1LT, IN
Retired

SPC (Ret) Cyrus

• 11C Indirect Fire Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
I might be new here and just completed Phase 1 but I am trying to join the weapons squad (as MG or AT). From experience of using the Mk19 and M2 on my AAVP7A1, Rifle squads get pinned down more than they want to say. It is up to the boys with the big toys to play the measuring game with the enemy. If it wasn't for the weapon squads or IFV's, our infantry will be in hiding in a hole....Because of that I have to say the next bit.

Hello, I am Al Cyrus. For years, rifle squads have been sent into enemy armor infested country. They never wished to hear or see the tracked beast roll up over the hill. These poor souls need help now. For just a small donation of one Javelin missile or a MAAWS rocket, you can save a squad today. When they look up, will they see a T-72 rolling over them or Javelins flying over to keep the armor at bay. That is for you. to decide.

....PS
I wasn't going for that commercial sound to that but I think that doesn't matter. Now I think someone might actually make a video on that.....(Sigh)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:47:52 PM by PaladinZenaku »
A. CYRUS
SPC, USA
Retired

Pittman

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »
I might be new here and just completed Phase 1 but I am trying to join the weapons squad (as MG or AT). From experience of using the Mk19 and M2 on my AAVP7A1, Rifle squads get pinned down more than they want to say. It is up to the boys with the big toys to play the measuring game with the enemy. If it wasn't for the weapon squads or IFV's, our infantry will be in hiding in a hole....Because of that I have to say the next bit.

Hello, I am Al Cyrus. For years, rifle squads have been sent into enemy armor infested country. They never wished to hear or see the tracked beast roll up over the hill. These poor souls need help now. For just a small donation of one Javelin missile or a MAAWS rocket, you can save a squad today. When they look up, will they see a T-72 rolling over them or Javelins flying over to keep the armor at bay. That is for you. to decide.

....PS
I wasn't going for that commercial sound to that but I think that doesn't matter. Now I think someone might actually make a video on that.....(Sigh)
Havoc 1-4-D needs an assistant gunner, and pretty much all of Havoc 2-4 is open. Pick whatever suits you!

SPC (Ret) Cyrus

• 11C Indirect Fire Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »
Hoping I can go machine gunner as my primary MOS and take anti armor training just to fill in when needed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:48:06 PM by PaladinZenaku »
A. CYRUS
SPC, USA
Retired

Turnbull

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »
They throw dirt, we throw rocks
They have pistols and AK's, we have M4's and 240's
They have tanks,  fuck we're black on AT.......

Turnbull

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
Hoping I can go machine gunner as my primary MOS and take anti armor training just to fill in when needed.

I would strongly sudject just getting in either 1-4 or 2-4's room on ts and talk some shit with the guys good bunch of lads they will fill you in with all you need to know or seek out myself personally  how ever keep and open mind there is plenty more to do around here in the 506th IR

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »
Havoc 2-4 Weapons Squad leader SGT Garcia fills-in with Havoc 3-4 Weapons Squad and unleashes some serious MAAWS action on an enemy convoy (note: SGT Garcia's mic didn't record but he used the proper callouts "Clear my backblast!" and "Rocket!" every time he fired.)

<a href="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT9x4b_QIvQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT9x4b_QIvQ</a>
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired