Author Topic: Why no Steam Group?  (Read 4347 times)

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Why no Steam Group?
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »
I found this old thread on the topic:  http://www.506thir.net/forums/index.php?topic=1251.0 

But it's so old the forum wanted me to make a new thread instead of necro'ing the old one.  The old one has input from Maj. Hayes re: an official 506th Steam Group but I don't see that anything was resolved one way or the other.

If it's still up for consideration, personally I would vote for the creation of an official 506th Steam Group (for many of the reasons discussed in the old thread, plus a few of my own). 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:06:38 PM by PV2 Lyon »
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

MSG De Vries

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
Re: Why no Steam Group?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »
Why have a Steam group? That was basically our conclusion last time somebody asked.
L. DE VRIES
MSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:58:11 PM »
...and got multiple posts from people listing what seem to me to be excellent reasons for having one.  To recap briefly:

-Our Steam names are almost always different than our 506th names.  Allows us to easily identify and communicate with friends we've made in the 506th even when not involved in 506th activities.

-Possible to post schedules and send out reminder notifications for FTX/Training/Ops.

-Gives us another place to hang out and chat.  I can open/chat in Steam (through a browser) while at work.  I'm not allowed to install/run Teamspeak at work.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:06:02 PM by PV2 Lyon »
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

MSG De Vries

• Combat Element
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »
Our forums do everything useful that a Steam group could do.

Basically, if we needed one then we'd have one by now.
L. DE VRIES
MSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SSG Pipps

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:37 PM »
I agree with SSG De Vries, not only we don't actually need a steam group but it's really important to be on the forums regularly to keep up with the day to day activity. Just that keeps everyone informed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:41:22 PM by PV2 Pipps »
S. PIPPS
SSG, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:44:40 PM »
-Our Steam names are almost always different than our 506th names.  Allows us to easily identify and communicate with friends we've made in the 506th even when not involved in 506th activities.

I pretty much hang out in TS full-time now, regardless of what I'm doing. There are many little cliques in the 506th that play other games together, and with outside friends, using the unit's TS server.

-Possible to post schedules and send out reminder notifications for FTX/Training/Ops.

There are better tools for this

-Gives us another place to hang out and chat.  I can open/chat in Steam (through a browser) while at work.  I'm not allowed to install/run Teamspeak at work.

Have you considered working at work? I kid, I kid.

If you want to make a Steam group for your team/squad/group of friends, feel free, but I'd advise against putting "506th" on it, for the same reason we don't have a Facebook page - it's too easy for outsiders to get our group conflated with the real 506th, which is not for the best.

MSG (Ret) Main

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »

There are many little cliques in the 506th that play other games together, and with outside friends, using the unit's TS server.

I wouldn't classify them as cliques because that has negative connotation to them. Members do group together that have common interests, but from my experience are open to having people join them. Clique implies they are excluding people, and I have not experienced that in my time here.

As for the steam group Pipps said it best

I agree with SSG De Vries, not only we don't actually need a steam group but it's really important to be on the forums regularly to keep up with the day to day activity. Just that keeps everyone informed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:24:24 AM by SFC Main »
J. MAIN
MSG, USA
Retired