Author Topic: Steam group  (Read 8220 times)

Rust

Steam group
« on: December 13, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Just a thought. Do we have a steam group? And if so what's the name?

Alexandrov

Re: Steam group
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:44:23 AM »
We don't have an official one nor do I think we will ever mabe someone from high command can correct me as to I am just another boot but no harm in being hopeful

MAJ (Ret) Hayes

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »
I don't believe the subject has ever been raised. What would we benefit by having a Steam group.
P. HAYES
MAJ, USA
Retired

blackhawk3601

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
I don't believe the subject has ever been raised. What would we benefit by having a Steam group.

CPT, I believe that having a steam group is another method of advertisement (Whether or not you want that is a totally different question) that would allow more people to see the 506th name and eventually reach our fourms. Another cool thing about having a steam group with everyone (or most) people in it, is the ability to send out notifications to every member of the group that pop up on their computer. For example: You could send out a message on the steam group and anyone in said group would see a box saying: "Meeting now, get on team speak Conference Room 1" or something. Just a few little perks that would be neat to see.

MAJ (Ret) Hayes

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
And how do we control the trolls on such a group? Is it able to moderated?
P. HAYES
MAJ, USA
Retired

1LT (Ret) Aston

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
Perhaps setting it to invite only? I personally don't see Steam as being a great platform for advertisement. I do however see a steam group as a way to bring 506th members together. It's easier send friend requests to your friends in the unit, as well as seeing what games people are playing, and joining them.
J. ASTON
1LT, USA
Retired

blackhawk3601

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »
And how do we control the trolls on such a group? Is it able to moderated?

You can appoint an administration team on said group that has the ability to remove anyone from the group at any point, etc. They are also the only ones that can send out any notifications, etc. The steam group also has a calendar/scheduled events feature that allows the admin team of the group to post a schedule and people within the group can see it.

blackhawk3601

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
Perhaps setting it to invite only? I personally don't see Steam as being a great platform for advertisement. I do however see a steam group as a way to bring 506th members together. It's easier send friend requests to your friends in the unit, as well as seeing what games people are playing, and joining them.

As to what Aston said, you could just make the group invite only which means only the people the admin team invite could join it and see information. This would prevent trolls but still allow the 506th members to communicate with the group.

Tramble

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 02:20:01 PM »
This is a great content to provide more real time information, and it will also show how big and structured 506th is :)

Tramble

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »
This is a great content to provide more real time information, and it will also show how big and structured 506th is :)
The problem with that is that is exactly why there's this website with attached forums.

Yes we have the forums, but IE your ingame on dayz, you know the ETA for the op scheduled on that day.. But being ingame your mind forgets that you have that OP scheduled in 1hour.. and 30 minutes past and your still playing, havent checked your phone, forums, alt-tabbed.. 10minutes before the op starts - you get notified on steam group.. "OPS in 10minutes"

being in that steam group, saved you from missing the op/being late for an op.. although were old enough to remember these things but sometimes we forget simple stuff due to having other activities being done/played

SPC (Ret) Burton

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
I like the idae and second it. my steam name is.......... lylekburton
L. BURTON
SPC, USA
Retired

J. Stevenson

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »
Yes i think also that it is good way to keep all members link up, or some members that want to play some other games than arma... And i believe that if someone from command is group maker/admin and we use invite all from admins/squad leadrs we can bring order and stop any trolls.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:12:32 PM by SPC Zed »

Gray

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
I use to be a member of a few teams on various games here and there. Having a steam group saved me a lot because sometimes I may be in a different game and then a notification pops up saying this event is starting soon and I quit what I am doing and get on that.
The forum is the place to go; However, its not all that convenient like a notification is like Tramble said.

SPC (Ret) Filley

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »
Yes i think also that it is good way to keep all members link up, or some members that want to play some other games than arma... And i believe that if someone from command is group maker/admin and we use invite all from admins/squad leadrs we can bring order and stop any trolls.

Agreed. A lot of Game Room traffic is for more than just arma missions, and being able to find the member advertising what their playing is streamlined significantly. No more shuffling for 1 of 1000 people of the same name, instead simply looking through the group list for maybe 1 or 2 people of similar names. It's not necessary, but it saves a lot of headaches.
C. FILLEY
SPC, USA
Retired