Author Topic: Will I have the power? ;)  (Read 9231 times)

Will I have the power? ;)
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:15:08 PM »
Thinking about biting the bullet a building a high end system. I'am currently on a 6-7 year old rig which works fine for the games I have been playing, but I really really really want to get into ARMA and other AAA titles.

Here is a list of parts I have selected, now to justify spending the money lol.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27033265

I know its is a bit overkill in some instances but id like to have a little future proofness (is that a word?)

MSG De Vries

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
Re: Will I have the power? ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »
Unless technology takes a VERY sudden turn, I believe that system should last you maybe 3 or 4 years without having to worry about upgrades.
L. DE VRIES
MSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:25:07 PM »
That'd be great, although in a year I may throw a 2nd Titan in there to melt faces

SPC (Ret) Ciancio

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:37:13 PM »
save your money bruh
B. CIANCIO
SPC, USA
Retired

Montana

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »
There is no such thing as a future proof computer, technology simply advances too fast for that. That doesn't mean that your PC won't perform well for years to come, just don't expect it to stay ahead of the curve for more than 12-18 months (with the exception of that gpu).

Also, that build is way too beast. You will probably never need that much power and to be honest its a waste of money imo unless you are running like 3x 46" monitors. $999 is so much damn money for a graphics card.  You could probably spend 1/2 of that and not even know the difference.

My verdict, cut back to about half that cost. Save the money for later and upgrade when your stuff gets old, or buy something else nice for yourself. Just my 2c.

Here is a chart for example. Every year technology gets almost twice as powerful as the year before.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:59:03 PM by WO1 Montana »

Thach

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
If your going to spend $1k on one component, spend it on the CPU instead.

M. Daniels

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »
Don't bother with titans, get a 980 or a 970. You're just wasting money getting a titan or, god forbid, two of them

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
They just released a liquid cooled 980 may research that a little more.  As for the Titan it's a more want it than need it

Goldberg

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:05 AM »
TBH, the new Titan X looks fucking killer. Get that and you can play pretty much any game at high resolutions with a shit ton of FPS (1440p, 2560p). Also, it can play many games in 4K with 40-60 fps. Get two, and you can game at 5K (Dell makes a 5K monitor).

CPT Drumheller

• 18A Special Forces Officer
  • Combat Element
J. DRUMHELLER
CPT, SF
Commanding Officer, ODA 5221, Co B\2-5th SFG

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 04:50:42 AM »
The only con about 4k at the moment is they only run at 60hz, maybe a 1440p panel at 144hz would be better. I know as soon as I drop the cash for a 4k 60hz panel they will announce a 144hz  the next day.

CPT Hammersmain

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
I believe everybody here is spot on w/ the GPU.  I wouldn't spend that much money on a titan either as there are other options that provide great value. 

The big kicker with my recommendation is the fact that DirectX12 is coming out "soon."  What they're saying is DX12 can utilize VRAM in both cards in an SLI setup.  Meaning you won't have to buy a titan to get 6gb of VRAM and could get 2x 970's (@ 3.5GB VRAM EACH) to match at 2/3rds the cost (not the best apples to apples comparison, but will save you lots of money for small sacrifices with 1 more GB of VRAM). 

With that in mind, I would buy a decent middle of the road GPU to tide you over a year or two (perhaps a 780 or something).  In a build, the Mobo/CPU are basically the bottlenecks, look to upgrade your GPU down the line as GPUs are rarely top notch for over a year.  If you want to go crazy, go SLI at this point.  Your GPU will then most likely rev up your system making the CPU your new bottleneck--meaning you've effectively got the most out of your build.   

If you have a MicroCenter near you, BUY YOUR GPUS AT MICROCENTER (pay attention).  Spend the extra $30 on their year long service protection plan...I never do this ever except at microcenter...why?  Because when you spend that $30, you have up to a year to return the card to the store and they give you the full cost of the card back in store credit no questions asked.  So when the new GTXs come out within a year that cost the same as your old card, you basically are out $30 for the service plan and BOOM upgraded card (Save your boxes obviously).   

Seem like a scam?  Seem stupid?  Don't believe me?  Ask any employee who works at MicroCenter and they will nerd rage on this plan so hard it will make you uncomfortable.

Another thing I would do differently is the Power Supply.  I noticed you're going w/ the Corsair Radiators which are amazing.  I added the H80 to my rig a little while back to overclock my 3770k and I easily got another full Ghz out of it stable at 60C.  I think I could push it more, but I really don't know how much because I don't know how much room is left on my power supply--which brings me to my next recommendation. 

If you're into treating computers like a race-car like I am, you're going to want a PSU where you can monitor power draws to various components.  Corsair HX850i offers that.  With their Corsair Link software you can monitor your PSU, Radiator, and program each component for different scenarios.  If you get a Corsair case, you can also program the fans.  Look into it --- I highly recommend it.  It's $70 more than what you're looking at buying now, but believe me it is worth it in the long term if you're going to be saving money by not buying the TitanX. 

If you ask me the time, I will build you a clock.  I'm excited for you -- Have fun w/ the build!           
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:51:22 AM by PV2 Hammersmain »
R. HAMMERSMAIN
CPT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
Would I be able to run the game on my current system (its pretty laughable I know, its old lol)

CPU-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

GPU-GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:31:05 PM by Fergerson, Howard J »

Goldberg

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »
Would I be able to run the game on my current system (its pretty laughable I know, its old lol)

CPU-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

GPU-GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

This is the minimum requirements to run the game:
Processor: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM
DirectX®: 10
Hard Drive: 15 GB free space
Sound: DirectX®-compatible

I'd say you'd be able to run it, on low or medium-low. 

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 11:22:57 PM »
Cool, maybe I can get through training before I build the new PC. Thanks for the response