Author Topic: Message Not Recieved/ Server Kick  (Read 3206 times)

SGT (Ret) Herrera

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Message Not Recieved/ Server Kick
« on: October 25, 2022, 12:53:11 AM »
This past TFB OCT23 I was kicked off the server over 20 times, this only affected me. This has never happened to me before and I had to restart my PC every time in order to reconnect. The time I was able to stay connected varied throughout the OP (Sometimes I would be kicked right away and sometimes stay longer, Up to 20min) There was no network issue with any of the other applications on my PC including Teamspeak. The only setting I changed recently was my display setting (switched from Fullscreen to Windowed Fullscreen). Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again or was last night just my turn?
A. HERRERA
SGT, USA
Retired

SSG Salvatore

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
Re: Message Not Recieved/ Server Kick
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 02:31:51 AM »
Try restarting your router/modem if you haven’t already.
G. SALVATORE
SSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SGT D. Swift

• 25W Telecommunications Operations Chief
  • Combat Element
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 06:17:38 AM »
Had a similar-ish issue with my old rig when I first joined the unit, whereby if my headset USB got dislodged slightly, it would cause Arma to freeze/crash (the USB connection was a bit loose however), as well as occasionally having issues when I would alt-tab in/out which again, could cause a freeze/outright crash. I never managed to specifically troubleshoot it, but I noticed TFAR was using a lot of RAM on my PC at the time during TF operations, putting a heavy strain on everything alongside running Arma.

When I upgraded to a Razer headset and keyboard, Razer Cortex's game booster made a difference by freeing up some RAM, however it wasn't a total fix and issues would still persist at times.

Not sure how closely related it is to your issue, but thought I would flag regardless.
D. SWIFT
SGT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 06:29:37 AM »
There's nothing in the server logs which would indicate an issue on the server side, you will need to investigate your game and mods.
Check your local files in Steam, check Arma is up to date, check you have all the right mods loaded etc.

19:04:10 Player SGT Herrera is losing connection
19:04:22 Player SGT Herrera disconnected.
19:11:35 SGT Herrera uses modified data file
19:11:35 Player SGT Herrera connecting.
19:11:36 Player SGT Herrera connected (id=76561198051963475).
19:15:15 Player SGT Herrera disconnected.
19:17:32 SGT Herrera uses modified data file
19:17:32 Player SGT Herrera connecting.
19:17:32 Player SGT Herrera connected (id=76561198051963475).
19:23:49 Player SGT Herrera disconnected.
19:24:12 SGT Herrera uses modified data file
19:24:12 Player SGT Herrera connecting.
19:24:33 Player SGT Herrera connected (id=76561198051963475).
19:27:48 Player SGT Herrera is losing connection
19:28:05 Player SGT Herrera disconnected.
19:30:26 SGT Herrera uses modified data file
19:30:26 Player SGT Herrera connecting.
19:30:27 Player SGT Herrera connected (id=76561198051963475).
19:39:49 Player SGT Herrera is losing connection
19:40:10 Player SGT Herrera disconnected.
19:49:06 SGT Herrera uses modified data file
19:49:06 Player SGT Herrera connecting.
19:49:06 Player SGT Herrera connected (id=76561198051963475).

I will say though, and I understand that you want to get into the mission, but attempting to connect this many times in this short a window does nothing except stress the server.
If this occurs to you, you need to at least conduct some basic troubleshooting after the ~3rd disconnect before just spamming connections to the server.

Certainly, by the time you're on your 20th disconnect, you need to be trying something on your end given the mission is proceeding with everyone else.
I suggest you discuss with your CoC what that basic first-layer troubleshooting can look like.
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired

CW4 I. Steves

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
From what I have found I’d recommend trying reinstalling the game from scratch, some say that it can help but sometimes it doesn’t. Another issue some seem to reference is this if you have multiple people at your house using Steam to play games. Another site that has a lot of resources can be found here. The ones that stand out to me that may be causing you issues would be the firewall / anti-virus hampering the game, or routers / firewalls identify the Steam multiplayer server queries as spam traffic. If you haven’t already I would recommend port forwarding Arma, it’s something that I’ve been doing with pretty much all of my multiplayer games for years since it can help alleviate issues. I’d also recommend exempting Arma 3 or even Steam from the firewall (info) so that it will just leave it alone. I would also recommend exempting your entire Steam folder from your anti-virus scans since I have had issues with my anti-virus, Norton, deleting files from it before, specifically Arma 3 files that were required for the game to even function.This issue is definitely something on your end with the network or local system and these are good steps to take to try and stop it from happening again.
As a side note, are you using a WiFi dongle for your connection? And if you are is there perhaps a microwave being used nearby? (Yes this is a real issue that used to cause me to disconnect all the time because the microwave and WiFi dongle operated on the same frequency.) Also what is your internet speed that you have?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 10:22:59 AM by CW3 I. Steves »
I. STEVES
CW4, AV
Rotary Wing Aviator, Co D\5-101st Brigade

SSG M. Jaeger

• 18C Special Forces Engineer Sergeant
  • Combat Element
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 02:02:08 PM »
I've only had two occassions so far since joining the unit where I received excessive disconnects.  One was fixed by rolling back the just updated audio driver.  (Why?  I have no clue.)  The other was fixed by reinstalling the headset driver.  Just sharing as an FYI; no idea if that will help you or anyone.

Had a similar-ish issue with my old rig when I first joined the unit, whereby if my headset USB got dislodged slightly, it would cause Arma to freeze/crash (the USB connection was a bit loose however), as well as occasionally having issues when I would alt-tab in/out which again, could cause a freeze/outright crash. I never managed to specifically troubleshoot it, but I noticed TFAR was using a lot of RAM on my PC at the time during TF operations, putting a heavy strain on everything alongside running Arma.

When I upgraded to a Razer headset and keyboard, Razer Cortex's game booster made a difference by freeing up some RAM, however it wasn't a total fix and issues would still persist at times.

Not sure how closely related it is to your issue, but thought I would flag regardless.
M. JAEGER
SSG, USA
Engineer Sergeant, ODA 5221, Co B\2-5th SFG

SGT (Ret) Herrera

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 11:19:45 PM »
Okay a lot of good tips here, gonna take me awhile to trouble shoot with all these. I had reset my router earlier that week so I'm not sure it was that but I did it again (also my internet is 100MB/s Down and is connected via Ethernet ) I'll start with reinstalling my game and mods, I'll test it in TF Delta this weekend and go from there.

Edit: I forgot to mention there was an NVIDIA driver update that week so maybe it was that too idk, There was an update for that this week as well so maybe that will fix it I hope.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 11:36:53 PM by SGT Herrera »
A. HERRERA
SGT, USA
Retired

CW4 I. Steves

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 08:12:39 AM »
Okay a lot of good tips here, gonna take me awhile to trouble shoot with all these. I had reset my router earlier that week so I'm not sure it was that but I did it again (also my internet is 100MB/s Down and is connected via Ethernet ) I'll start with reinstalling my game and mods, I'll test it in TF Delta this weekend and go from there.

Edit: I forgot to mention there was an NVIDIA driver update that week so maybe it was that too idk, There was an update for that this week as well so maybe that will fix it I hope.

Try not to test it during Task Force, try connecting to server before that and just running around in it for awhile to see if it will kick you as a baseline test, then you can see if it kicks you during an actual Task Force event. Also the Nvidia driver update just fucked up my audio by causing weird tearing when I had multiple things open, the newest update seems to have fixed it thankfully.
I. STEVES
CW4, AV
Rotary Wing Aviator, Co D\5-101st Brigade

SGT Stewart

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 07:21:01 PM »
The only thing that has hosed me excessively as far as crashes or disconnects are:

Audio driver crashes, due to damaged cable. (replaced headset.
Windows updates happening in the background. (reboot computer, and explicitly check for Windows updates.)
Steam updated, and wasn't restarted recently,( restart Steam before launching Arma. ( make sure its exited and not merely sitting in the task bar minimized.))
R. STEWART
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

SGT (Ret) Herrera

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 10:35:44 PM »
Okay, No issues in Task Force Delta tonight so maybe the reinstall fixed it.

Chief Steves, I did test my game on a official server and non-official beforehand.
A. HERRERA
SGT, USA
Retired

SGT (Ret) Herrera

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 09:29:20 PM »
Welp It happened again in Task Force Echo. I dont know what to do at this point.
A. HERRERA
SGT, USA
Retired

SSG Pipps

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 01:14:16 AM »
Have you checked your firewall? Or what you use against viruses?
S. PIPPS
SSG, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

SSG M. Jaeger

• 18C Special Forces Engineer Sergeant
  • Combat Element
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 02:23:20 AM »
Hit me up between 1200-1500 EST any day this week.  I'll help you troubleshoot.

v/r
SGT M. Jaeger
//not replying as S-4//
M. JAEGER
SSG, USA
Engineer Sergeant, ODA 5221, Co B\2-5th SFG