Author Topic: Special Report : Chernarus - International Times - February 17, 2015  (Read 5047 times)

MAJ (Ret) Hayes

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired

By: Phillip Jennings - International Times

Has American intervention in Podagorsk caused ripples of conflict elsewhere?

Last time you all joined me, I was interviewing an RPLA officer on the conflict in Podagorsk. Unfortunately, our interview was cut short by a NATO airstrike nearby. It was terrifyingly loud, as it ripped apart a nearby RPLA convoy. I can still smell the oil and metal burning.

Many things have happened since then. I was able to push North in country, with a large group refugees. We began our track to Chernarus, which roughly half (reportedly) remains under control of the democratically elected government. The main obstacle for these refugees finding safety in Chernarus is that the trek takes us through the Russian border.

On our trek, we would constantly hear reports of massive and heated battles at the South end of the island as American forces push to destroy the RPLA and in particular, the extremist group known as the Red Guard. The group of refugees I traveled with mostly talked about how their homes were either destroyed, or take by the RPLA because “the cause demands it”. This group of refugees comes from all walks of life; they are doctors, farmers, shop owners, cobblers all the way to fishermen.

When we reached the Northern border, we ran into our particular problem, the Russian border, or so I thought we would. The Russian-Podagorsk border is not what you expect, in that there is no border. All that lies between the two nations is a forest. We were able to simply walk across and head West, to Chernarus. Refugees believe that the Russian government is supplying the RPLA with both arms and weapons over this open, unsecured border.

It is not entirely clear why they would do so. In 2008, the Russian military had to go into Chernarus and crack down on the RPLA. It is commonly believed that frankly, the Russian government does not care what happens to to both Podagorsk and Chernarus. The only reason the Russians went into Chernarus in 2008 was because of a UN mandate that they essentially need to clean up their backyard. But why would they supply weapons and arms to an army so close to their border? Well, Americans. Reports from sources in Moscow tell me that Moscow does not want a American political victory so close to the Russian border, let alone a military victory.

The Russian-Chernarus border was the exact same as the Russian-Podagorsk border, nothing. As we crossed, we started to settle into small towns, villages and cities throughout Chernarus. This is where I saw first hand the true horrors of war, and that the Russians were clearly involved.

As I traveled village to village, I would constantly find these villages utterly destroyed. The conflict in Podagorsk seemed to divide Chernarus even more. Either you support what the Americans are doing, or you are against it and are conscripted into the RPLA. If you are against it, you have no trial, you are most likely going to be killed and have all of your property destroyed. From what I have seen, the RPLA is still trying to take ground in Chernarus, but are taking more of a scorched earth policy.

Numbers for the RPLA and the democratically elected Chernarus government have swelled since American intervention in Podagorsk. With the conflict heating up, the Chernarus government is at a serious disadvantage. First, they are out gunned, especially with supplies and arms reaching the RPLA from Russia. Secondly, the remaining land in their control is getting boxed between the RPLA and Russia. I was able to speak with a few low level fighters in the RPLA. They in large spoke of their new armor and artillery will roll over Chernarus and then back to Podagorsk for an insurgency once Chernarus is unified. They would not confirm where the armor and artillery came from.

For now, I have retreated back to the Chernarus government controlled Airport in the Northwest part of the country. I plan to leave the country for now, as the conflict heats up and soldiers are killing anyone who they believe to be the enemy, regardless of speaking to them first.

* This is a fictional news article to support 506th IR gameplay - SFC Nagel
P. HAYES
MAJ, USA
Retired

O'Dette

Re: Special Report : Chernarus - International Times - February 17, 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
Interesting... It looks like I was right about the Russians getting more involved over time.

This will be Harvest Red all over again if you can't find a way to get them to back down. Worse, if you don't move fast enough, there isn't going to be anything left to save.

For certain, though, this conflict will expand into Chernarus. If the RPLA is there, it's only a matter of time before the AO shifts west.