Author Topic: Looking for recommendation on a new headset  (Read 3106 times)

SGT J. Gonzalez

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
Looking for recommendation on a new headset
« on: April 19, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
Now the starting to get little bit more serious into gaming (possible in the near future streaming) I am looking for a high quality headset and looking for recommendation. I am looking into Sennheirser brand.

Price range is not a issue (of course, I trying to pay as little as possible) but I'm not sacrificing quality over price.

Thank you in advance.

PV2 J. Gonzalez 
J. GONZALEZ
SGT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

1SG J. Brewer

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
Re: Looking for recommendation on a new headset
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 12:02:02 PM »
If quality is your goal, don't get a headset. Get some good monitor headphones and a boom mic. I use audio technica myself.
J. BREWER
1SG, USA
First Sergeant, Co A\1-506 Infantry

M. Sim

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »
My old Logitech G430's wore out after 2 years of 6+ hours a day use. I picked up a pair of G635's the other day and really am impressed with them. I prefer 'can's (over the ears) rather than 'plates' (on the ears) and these are large and comfortable with noise-canceling, EQ settings and even (though I don't care) LED's that can be set up in different ways. I'd say they are worth the coin.

SGT J. Gonzalez

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »
Thank you for the input SGT Brewer and PFC Sim.

J. GONZALEZ
SGT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

1LT (Ret) Mallory

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »
A bit of digging in this sub forum will yield several topics of the same subject- there are a few recommendations for variety in there regarding specific models.

I low-key hate a standalone boom mic, but the quality it provides and the setup overall is a lot nicer and less prone to issues with capture. If you are willing to put in the work & money, it is worth it.

Either way, recommend having a HyperX or another half-decent headset as a backup- hopefully your luck with the HyperX is like others on here and NOT mine- have had two pairs shit the bed from wiring issues.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:36:29 PM by 1LT Mallory »
J. MALLORY
1LT, AV
Retired

CW3 (Ret) Hauk

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:53:30 PM »
Hey,

Just wanted to add in here that as Sgt. Brewer is pointing out with his statement of quality what are you going for.   When I was younger....hmmmhmmhmm...I ran a small sound system for a local organization.   The thing about sound is there are many factors at play.   What is creating the sound, what is transmitting & amplifying the sound and what is broadcasting the sound.   If one of these is not of high quality then the sound you get has a high potential of being mediocre.  I see reviews all the time on headsets that read "Everyone says this headset is amazing best sound ever but I was not impressed they are no better than my low price set I had for X number of years.  I can't recommend...yada yada".   So just making a point here to just make sure especially if you are thinking about streaming that all your gear is looked at not just your headset.

Regards
N. HAUK
CW3, AV
Retired