Author Topic: New to the 506th - Intro  (Read 3637 times)

SFC (Ret) J. Morris

• 11B4O Infantryman
  • Retired
New to the 506th - Intro
« on: June 16, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »
Hey All,

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself - PV1 J. Morris (Real Name Jason), sometimes seen as Wraith762 or j4yk0ss - I've been playing Arma 3 single player for what seems to be forever but have never played online so this experience is going to be totally new to me. I have not yet joined the 506th public server but plan to after or during OSUT training so that I can practice what I learn. Looking forward to the working with you all on the battlefield.

Any advice for a fresh Private would be completely welcomed.

Regards,
PV1 J. Morris
J. MORRIS
SFC, USA
Retired

SPC Maines

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
Re: New to the 506th - Intro
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »
As a 10 year veteran of realism, One big thing I would say is know when to turn on the realism mode. During events when realism is required, there is a certain way that you should behave so as to maintain the immersion some of us treasure in these experiences. More of this will be taught to you when you go through your career in the 506th, but "Going AFK" is not normally something the real military would say on the radio  ;). Use "Off Comms" instead!

Have fun, and Good luck!
Z. MAINES
SPC, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
Welcome!  There's actually a pinned thread "Things I wish I'd known as a new recruit" that has lots of helpful suggestions for newbies.  Look forward to seeing you in the field!
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

MSG (Ret) Speirs

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:52:02 PM »
Welcome PV1,

You've picked a great time to join the 506th and I'm certain you will enjoy it.

A few tips:
- Pay careful attention to what you learn in RCT and OSUT -- it'll save you a lot of effort down the line.
- Ask questions any time the opportunity is given, it is more important to have a clear understanding of what we do and why than it is to just get by
- Spend some time in the Teamspeak, feel free to talk with people -- especially those where you might want to go after OSUT.
- Definitely stop by the Public Liberation servers, most of us play pretty consistently throughout the week.
- Take Notes! You will reference them all the time both during and after OSUT.

Looking forward to seeing you out there!
E. SPEIRS
MSG, USA
Retired

SFC (Ret) J. Morris

• 11B4O Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 06:36:20 PM »
Thanks all, that's some good advice that I will definitely be keeping in mind for sure.

See you all out there!
J. MORRIS
SFC, USA
Retired