Author Topic: I think I broke my wife's computer...  (Read 8148 times)

SPC Maines

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
I think I broke my wife's computer...
« on: May 13, 2020, 12:03:25 AM »
All,

I have been building a computer for my wife for mothers day and used my power supply to double check that everything was running fine. Everything posted great on Saturday. Fast forward to today when HER power supply came in. I hooked up all the cables, powered it on, and no signal is getting to the monitor. I tried removing/replacing connections on RAM, all cables, power supply cables, HDMI, different monitors, and even resorting to using my power supply to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I am hoping that I didn't kill a part or two...
Z. MAINES
SPC, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

Capt (Ret) Clay

• 11F3B Fighter Pilot
  • Retired
Re: I think I broke my wife's computer...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 12:42:53 AM »
On the MB is there a readout and is it registering as posting or is their an error code show up?
D. CLAY
Capt, USAF
Retired

SPC Maines

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 02:05:52 AM »
On the MB is there a readout and is it registering as posting or is their an error code show up?

Motherboard is an MSI X570 Pro Carbon, which has 4 LEDS. They all move along the boot cycle perfectly to windows. Just no video being shown
Z. MAINES
SPC, USA

Capt (Ret) Avery

• 11F3B Fighter Pilot
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:48:22 AM »
Do you have a graphics card?

What input type are you using? (HDMI, Displayport, VGA, DVI)

If you are using a graphics card, is the cable going to the graphics card, or the back of the motherboard?

Most Ryzen CPU's do not have integrated graphics, so if the cable is going to the HDMI or Displayport in the motherboard, it wont display anything. I know there are a few type of AMD CPU's that have integrated graphics, but I am not so sure which ones do. I recently made the jump to AMD in my NAS at home so I do not have much experience with AMD chipsets.

Since I do not know your exact system build, based on your post you do not have a graphics card. I am willing to bet that is the issue in this case. If you want to test out the thoery, you can either grab a spare GPU from a old build maybe or even take your current graphics card out of your system if you are comfortable with doing that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:54:24 AM by 1st Lt Avery »
T. AVERY
Capt, USAF
Retired

MSgt Minatozaki

• 1Z371 Tactical Air Control Party
  • Combat Element
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 12:14:20 PM »
When you used the new power supply, did you use the power cables that were included with that specific one, or did you use cables from another brand/model of power supply to hook into the MOBO/graphics card & drives?
If you used different cables than the ones supplied by that specific PSU, there is a chance you might've fried whatever was connected using that cable since even though they look the same, the wiring inside can be extremely different.

If you did do the above, try using the cables that were included instead, it might end up working.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:16:49 PM by MSgt Minatozaki »
L. MINATOZAKI
MSgt, USAF

SPC Maines

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 12:54:26 PM »
I do have a graphics card which is an MSI Mech OC 8GB 5700xt. I also used the cables supplied with the new PSU to do the initial hookups. I also used my graphics card to troubleshoot the graphics card to no avail. The only thing I havent done is reset the CMOS Battery but i dont think that would do anything either.
Z. MAINES
SPC, USA

CW3 (Ret) Hauk

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 01:27:20 PM »
SGT,

Just jumping in here going on the info you have supplied.

So you have nothing to your monitor even though you installed an older v-card and still nothing.

Also review everything was working prior to installing the new power supply.

So I have a few suggestions, to start but a little more info would help with diagnosis.    So suggestion on post are you getting the startup beeps from the motherboard and then checked those to see if an error is being thrown.   The manufacturer of your MB should have a schematic explaining what the beeps mean.   Also does the video card have direct power from the motherboard.   If it does and you have a volt meter check to see if you have power there.   To learn how to do that there are plenty of videos about it.  Why on that you easily could have gotten a bad power supply it happens.   And on that have you put the old power supply back in yet.  I would imagine you have already thought of that just putting it out there.

Any more info you could supply would be helpful.  Hope you get it figured out 😁
N. HAUK
CW3, AV
Retired

CW3 (Ret) Hauk

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »
SGT,

Correction,

Video card from power supply not motherboard.
N. HAUK
CW3, AV
Retired

SPC Maines

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »
UPDATE.

I got it figured out. The RAM wasn't seated properly. It took 5 times to seat it properly I guess.....

Nonetheless I got it done. and DAMN does it look good. Thank you all for the kind suggestions!
Z. MAINES
SPC, USA

Capt (Ret) Clay

• 11F3B Fighter Pilot
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 03:36:03 PM »
UPDATE.

I got it figured out. The RAM wasn't seated properly. It took 5 times to seat it properly I guess.....

Nonetheless I got it done. and DAMN does it look good. Thank you all for the kind suggestions!

Glad you got it working and that it was an easy fix was going to suggest reseat the ram on my next post. Had to make sure the MB posted before going further.
D. CLAY
Capt, USAF
Retired