Author Topic: Joining the 506th IR if I own my own unit(?)  (Read 3040 times)

AKula74M

Joining the 506th IR if I own my own unit(?)
« on: October 21, 2019, 01:22:54 AM »
Hello, I am the owner of a seperate unit based on Russian forces that operates on a three day schedule which we are currently still adjusting, I was curious to know if I am still allowed to join and play with the 506th IR whilst operating my own unit on my own time?

Thanks in advance!   ;D

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
Re: Joining the 506th IR if I own my own unit(?)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 02:35:26 AM »
Hi,

The 506th does have rules against dual enlistment, but it is important to understand that's not a blanket no-other-units rule. Many of our members enjoy playing other styles of Arma3 including, but not limited to, Starsim and Vietnam units.

Before I get into the "rules" themselves, there is also the "spirit" of the policy which is worth discussing as it is a common source of misunderstanding. The 506th as a unit will, for lack of a better word, "demand" a certain amount of time from you. Throughout the training pipeline, you will need to attend a minimum of 5x formal classes, ranging in duration from 2-3 hours each. From there, if you take an active duty billet in an infantry role, you would need to attend 4x squad trainings, 2x operations and 1x platoon training per month, each again between 2-3 hours long. If you take an active billet but find yourself torn between a relationship with the 506th and a relationship with your own unit, obviously that is a tough situation not only for yourself, but also for the other members of your team who would be relying on you to be there to support them.

Also, and I say this as part of the leadership of the teams within our Logistics shop, our mods, templates & environment is something we feel a sense of ownership over. We have had people in the past who joined the 506th, and then took all our mods and left in order to create their own unit. I'm sure you can understand why we would look unfavorably upon that situation.

All that aside, our "formal" dual clanning rule is that you cannot be part of another modern Arma3 realism unit while being a part of the 506th. If the unit you run falls into that category, then it is dual enlistment and is not permitted per Unit SOP. Some typical indicators of "realism unit" include a ranking structure, formal attendance/training requirements, and some kind of fixed schedule. These factors can vary and will be assessed in detail by the staff within S-1 Recruiting, should you make an application.

If you have further questions, I would recommend reaching out to a staff member from S-1 Recruiting, who can get into the specific details with you.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

SSG Hardman
S-1 Chief | S-4 Missions Team Lead | S-4 Mod Team Chief
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired