Author Topic: Monitors and compatibility with 506  (Read 5304 times)

M. Boone

Monitors and compatibility with 506
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »
Hey guys,

I have no experience with monitors or knowledge of how they work with what we do. I was hoping for some feedback on the best bang for your buck particularly as it has to do with 506 operations and trainings.

Is 4K where it's at?
Or is a 1080p with 144hz where it's at?
Is there a significant difference from 1ms to 5ms?
Are extra wide monitors worth it?

Does our server frame rates negate any monitor specs? Not saying I have the money, but if I got some 4K 144hz monitor (if they're out), would it matter because the server is bogged down?

Thanks guys!

1LT J. N. Lee

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
Re: Monitors and compatibility with 506
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:47:57 PM »
With ArmA 3 and for our Operations in particular, I highly doubt any machine right now would be capable of going 4K while still retaining reasonable frame rates, or hitting 144fps @ 1080p. I myself have a 144hz 1080p monitor and a G-Sync 1440p monitor, with an overclocked i7 7700k @ 4.5MHz up to 5.0 MHz while gaming, and a GTX 1080, and I can tell you if I get 40 FPS at any point during an operation I'd thank the ArmA gods. Even if I'm only running 1 monitor at a time, 40 FPS is still my FPS goal for any operations in our unit. As for the difference between 1ms and 5ms monitors, I don't really think you should pay too much attention towards that number. If you're going for a high-quality gaming monitor already then it will almost always be between 1-3ms delay. As for extra wide monitors, I've never owned one myself so I can't really say. Hope this helps!
J. N. LEE
1LT, IN
Platoon Leader, Co A\1-506 Infantry

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »
My 2c,

1) Not for me. 1080p is more prevalent in every way, and I'm not such a snowflake that I need my content to be "crisper" to enjoy it.

2) This is basically right, for me, but I feel also especially for Arma3. I don't even know if A3 runs at 4k?

3) In short, no. In long, you'd have to be really really really good at CSGO to feel the difference, again I don't think it matters for Arma3. I play on 4ms screens and always have.

4) I think so, but I'm not sure what the Arma support is like. I run 3x 1080p 24" screens.

5) Kind of. If the server is only running at 16fps, any performance you see over 16fps is not amazingly relevant. It might appear smoother to you, but the server can only register your bullets and movements 16 times a second.

Keep in mind, I don't believe performance in Arma is mega important. Arma is fun based on the gameplay, not based on the graphical quality, IMHO.
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired

SGT (Ret) Van Haarlem

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
for arma a 1080p monitor wil work fine, at both 120 and 144hz. for the best all round experience, i would suggest a 1440p ultra wide monitor. preferably at 144hz. i dont know about arma but for all round gaming that is pretty much the best you can get. making the monitor wider might not sound like much but it does really make a big difference when gaming.
I. VAN HAARLEM
SGT, USA
Retired

M. Boone

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
Thank you for your replies! Helpful feedback to consider

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
GOD DAMNIT -- I TRIED TO QUOTE THIS AND I HIT MODIFY. 

SORRY, WOC -- I don't remember what you wrote. 

1LT Hammersmain

:)No problem LT, basically just stated that arma will never take advantage of 144hz type monitors, nor will it run well outside of 1080p without a very beastly computer to push the pixels.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:11:57 PM by WOC Bowman »
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

CPT Hammersmain

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
This game doesn't get above 30 fps in 4k....period.  Especially during full task force operations.   

I have a 7700k OCd to 5.2 ghz (lucky silicon lottery) with a 1080ti.....and I run at 1440p with 200% sampling at 60fps.  For some reason, no matter what the settings, this game doesn't get above 30fps in 4k.  That's because this game is optimized like shit and only utilizes about 50-70% of GPU hardware.  Been waiting for this to be fixed for years and it hasn't happened, so I've given up on "waiting for ArmA optimization."   

It runs at about 45-50 fps w/o VSYNC but that's unfortunately a necessary evil w/ the ridiculous tearing in this game in online servers.   

For reference, my previous build had SLI'd 970s (about a 1/3rd of the VRAM as a 1080ti) and had the same FPS in ArmA 4k w/ same monitor and a 3770k OCd to 4.8ghz.  Makes no damn sense. 

Don't waste your time trying to get 4k in this game- nor money - it's not an attainable goal unless you play a lot of other games to justify it.   
R. HAMMERSMAIN
CPT, USA

M. Boone

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »
Thanks, 1LT! Would you agree then with CPL Van Haarlem that a 1440p ultra wide monitor at 144hz would be the best with just this game in mind? Or does the refresh rate even need to be that high?

This game doesn't get above 30 fps in 4k....period.  Especially during full task force operations.   

I have a 7700k OCd to 5.2 ghz (lucky silicon lottery) with a 1080ti.....and I run at 1440p with 200% sampling at 60fps.  For some reason, no matter what the settings, this game doesn't get above 30fps in 4k.  That's because this game is optimized like shit and only utilizes about 50-70% of GPU hardware.  Been waiting for this to be fixed for years and it hasn't happened, so I've given up on "waiting for ArmA optimization."   

It runs at about 45-50 fps w/o VSYNC but that's unfortunately a necessary evil w/ the ridiculous tearing in this game in online servers.   

For reference, my previous build had SLI'd 970s (about a 1/3rd of the VRAM as a 1080ti) and had the same FPS in ArmA 4k w/ same monitor and a 3770k OCd to 4.8ghz.  Makes no damn sense. 

Don't waste your time trying to get 4k in this game- nor money - it's not an attainable goal unless you play a lot of other games to justify it.   

CPT Hammersmain

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
I don't have experience with ultrawide monitors, but I would go for the higher refresh, personally. 

I usually go overkill on all things PC related -- it's a personal problem of mine. 

Thanks, 1LT! Would you agree then with CPL Van Haarlem that a 1440p ultra wide monitor at 144hz would be the best with just this game in mind? Or does the refresh rate even need to be that high?

R. HAMMERSMAIN
CPT, USA