Author Topic: Becoming a TACP in the 506th  (Read 2495 times)

asek

Becoming a TACP in the 506th
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
Hi all,

I am brand new to the 506th and will shortly be undergoing recruit training. I was looking through the rosters to see the structure of the unit, and noticed that there are several TACP's in the 506th. My question is am I available to go through the training to become a TACP here? It was something I was hoping that the unit had and was just wondering how that selection process worked. I am very excited to be apart of the unit and can't wait to start some ops.

Thanks,
RCT Sekelsky

J. Wade

Re: Becoming a TACP in the 506th
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »
RCT Sekelsky,

There are TACPs and UAV operators in the 506th. Hwoever, you need to be fully trained and at least an E-4 IIRC.

Good luck in your training.

Treyum

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
RCT Sekelsky,

UAV operator billets open at E-3, while JTAC billets open at E-4. Although it is possible to become a JTAC without being UAV first, it's going to be extremely difficult, as the UAV operators are given priority for JTAC billets. If you're looking to become a TACP member, wait until you're at least an E-3 and applications for UAV slots open up.

V/R
2nd Lt Trey

asek

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »
Gentleman,

Is there a recommended MOS so that I can set myself up for a greater chance in the future?

Thanks,
RCT Sekelsky

Treyum

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »
Most of our current TACP members have held leadership positions within infantry at some point. Other than that, no MOS is better than the other in terms of success rate.

Capt (Ret) Avery

• 11F3B Fighter Pilot
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »
Before I post, just to clarify, TACP is the whole of Dagger, which includes JTAC's and UAV Operators. Just trying to break that "TACP" habit if you are referring to JTAC's. As 2nd Lt Trey said, the three JTAC's have held leadership billets in the past. I held a team leader billet, squad leader billet, and a platoon leader billet in the 506th in the past. But we have members who held just team leader billets in the past before transferring to the TACP.

The best course of action to set yourself to become a JTAC is to hold a 11B billet until you are E-3 (any billet works really), then transfer into the TACP if there is a UAV Operator position available. Once you transfer you will be trained to become a JTAC in the event one isn't present for an operation/training. If there is ever a JTAC availability, UAV Operators get first dibs before anyone outside can apply. If no UAV Operator wants it, applications are open to the 506th public.
T. AVERY
Capt, USAF
Retired