Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 9955 times)

Ohio17

I have a question
« on: December 21, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a gaming PC. and I was looking at the AllienWare X51 and I just wanted to how ARMA3 Would run on it. To keep things short I want to join your unit. But first I want to get all the right equipment in place. before joining your unit.

Siraj

Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
need to know more about the computer, what specs does it have? how much does it cost? if you're new to PCs and don't know what specs are just provide a link to what you're looking at and we'll help you.

Now i'm going to go ahead and say if you're new to computers taking the time to learn how to build a computer (which is so much easier than it sounds) can save you hundreds of dollars than buying a computer by a big name manufacture or if you don't want to build it yourself you can order a computer to be built by services that do that kind of stuff which can still save you a little money and give you a much better computer than the one you would pay alienware for. 

Johnston

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
What x51 model? For that price we could suggest a DIY build that would run arma better than what you pay for the x51 (cheaper too)

Ohio17

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »
These are the specs on the computer I'm looking at Equipped with 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor, an optional Windows 8.1 upgrade and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 graphics card. Enjoy 1080p HD Gaming with our most compact desktop, ever.

Johnston

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd
The $699 one?

Do you have a monitor/ keyboard/ mouse already?

Ohio17

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »
I have a mouse and monitor

Ohio17

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd
The $699 one?

Do you have a monitor/ keyboard/ mouse already?
yes that's the one I'm looking at

Johnston

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 06:14:21 AM »
At 700$ I'm sure the fine folks on here could build an good arma rig, just word to wise, If your able I would shoot for the 800$ range and go with an I5 CPU, Arma is very CPU intensive compared to other games, and you  will notice a big difference from I5 from I3.

Metzger

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
This is a custom build I plan on using for Arma 3. It's spec'd higher than the Alienware and usually sits at $800-$850 depending on when components go on sale. The build is currently set to always use the lowest cost components that fit my desires.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/oregonrunner4/saved/mcP9TW

J. Galloway

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
You could easily stay within the $700 price range and go with an I5 i built my computer origionally for around $550 with an I5 now I skimped out on the graphics card a little to fit that price point but I easily fixed that with a card I got hugely discounted on E-Bay a year or so after the intitial build. that's another great point about building your own too, how easy it is to simply upgrade a certain part when you have the funds. Most prebuilt computers especially Dell make it very hard on the customer to upgrade to keep them coming back for new computers in the near future. I cannot stress enough how much money is saved from building your own system.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:51:43 PM by PV2 Galloway »

Boyle

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »
Don't fall for the Alienware stuff... they aren't bad, but they are very overpriced and gimmicky, not to mention the frequent overheating issues because of the small cases. As the others said, building your own will save you a lot of money. Just my two cents.

Siraj

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
These are the specs on the computer I'm looking at Equipped with 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor, an optional Windows 8.1 upgrade and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 graphics card. Enjoy 1080p HD Gaming with our most compact desktop, ever.

that computer will run arma but not well, not well at all. I agree with the above go for a DIY build you can get a computer in the same price range with much better components and much better performance overall. The choice is yours but the x51 you're buying will not last long with an i3 processor and a gfx card like that you can probably expect to play on low settings.

This is a custom build I plan on using for Arma 3. It's spec'd higher than the Alienware and usually sits at $800-$850 depending on when components go on sale. The build is currently set to always use the lowest cost components that fit my desires.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/oregonrunner4/saved/mcP9TW

i would go for this definitely
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:13:19 PM by SGT Siraj »

Coffman

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »
Just about any DIY build will outperform an alien ware at a fraction of the cost of an alien ware. PM me your price range and I can get you a build, once you have the parts its just like putting legos together, follow directions and plug the components in.

Metzger

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
...its just like putting legos together...

Very expensive Legos

Carver

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
I would definitely build your own, that i5 build Mallea linked is solid.