Author Topic: Just a suggestion  (Read 20140 times)

PFC (Ret) H. Hansen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Just a suggestion
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:33:40 AM »
This is merely a suggestion from my part, since this unit (as far as I know) isn't completely set up yet. In the 15th the operations have always been on sunday at 1900 CST, to great irritation for some of us "foreigners" who has and OP from 2 AM to 4 AM for then to go to sleep and get up again at 6AM.

I don't know how things work in the U.S.. I have no idea how many of the 506th members work on saturday, but my suggestion would be to simply move the OPs from sunday to saturday at the same time.

Is this something the command staff might consider before everything gets running, because I think it could do alot good in terms of getting new members, not only from the U.S. but from Europe and perhaps Asia also. It would technically still be an American based unit with the OP on saturday at that time.

I thought I'd ask before I sent in an application.
H. HANSEN
PFC, USA
Retired

Delonge

Re: Just a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:09:29 AM »
I would plus one this but i know that i doubt it will change, as mycb as i would love it to, it wont.

PFC (Ret) H. Hansen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:20:21 AM »
Well as I said, it's merely a suggestion. I'm not like "YOU MUST DO THIS BECAUSE MWAAAH!!"
H. HANSEN
PFC, USA
Retired

Delonge

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:41:38 AM »
Yeah, hahaha, would be really nice though.

1LT (Ret) O'Keefe

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
My hope is that as we move forward, we will not rule out the possibility of running different taskforces on different times/days.

This has been something the 15th has always drawn a line in the sand over, and perhaps with the size of the unit and the scale of the bureaucracy involved in running it, it might not have been worthwhile. However, we are small, and built from the ground up.

It isn't just people from out of country who would rather do their operations on different times/days, I have met my share of Americans who have not been able to make the operation times, or who would rather it was on Saturday for a variety of reasons.

I will say that in my experience, getting people to show up on Saturdays was always a chore. There are definitely more people working on Saturdays, and more people who want to use that time to socialize, etcetera. But if we were to have operations on Saturdays & Sundays (as an example) then those people who are unwilling to sacrifice their Saturdays could simply transfer to a Sunday taskforce at the earliest opportunity. Those who want Saturdays will show up Saturdays. Those who don't will not remain in the platoons that run Saturdays.

Yes it would create a few small inconveniences, but I really feel like the pros would outweigh the cons - assuming that we ever want to grow beyond two platoons without having to double our monthly server costs just to get a third and fourth platoon in here.
C. O'KEEFE
1LT, USA
Retired

SPC (Ret) D. Lee

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
I agree with this suggestion.

A big reason why I've been in the reserves in the 15th for over a year is the Sunday night operation time. Even though I was in the Central Time Zone, Monday morning PT (usually a 6+ mile run) was always especially brutal without a good night's rest.

Then again, I won't be back stateside for at least another 7 months, so my convenience is irrelevant.
D. LEE
SPC, USA
Retired

MAJ (Ret) Hayes

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:28:10 AM »
I'll chime in on this.

It should be said up front that as this unit is run by a voting command staff, not the voice of one commander, anything is possible. One of the primary reasons that the 15th's and our Ops are held in the evening on Sunday nights is that there are generally two kinds of people drawn to realism milsim gaming. Younger men who have an interest in the military and gaming and Older men who have an interest in the military and gaming. In the first case, most of our younger american men are either working, partying or doing unspeakable acts on Saturdays, and in the case of the second, our older american men are almost always busy with family on Saturday nights. Sunday evenings after dinner in the US is generally speaking a perfect time to be able to dedicate 3 hours of your time to a video game simulation.

As a Commander, it has never been lost on me the amount of dedication our over-seas players have for our units. In my former unit, my executive officer was from Australia and he rarely ever missed a meeting I set, no matter how inconvenient it was for him. I can't imagine the amount of dedication it takes to do that. I respect it and appreciate it. However, that being said, I can pretty much assure you that the 1900 CST Sunday Operation will very likely remain the standard for this unit. Is it possible that an alternate Operation time might be set for a different task force. Yes, but that would require several things to happen.
1.) We would need to grow beyond the two alternating weekend task forces.
2.) The growth into a third task force would need to be mainly people who all would want to have Operations on a different time.

As I said, if the interest is there, if the support is there, such as available servers, leadership, organization, planning (all the things that go into having a unit capable of doing an Op and having the structure to design and manage the Op), if all those things are there and Command Staff approves it . . . it could happen.

I wouldn't count on it however.

Hope this helps,
P. HAYES
MAJ, USA
Retired

Fritzen

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
Sat/Sun would be fantastic, but I do understand that these fine people running this operation are doing it for nothing and I respect that they are working hard to create a fun realistic environment for all of us to enjoy and I know that we are not entitled to a time at our convenience and that I'm a guest asking permission to play in their sandbox...run on sentence...with that said....
I'm a working adult with a family;  am definitely not apposed to having two op days for operations if applicable. Am I correct that the op time is 2000EST? I'm on PST and puts me into 1am on Sunday, I'd be useless at work witch would kill it for me. =(

Thank you for your time and  consideration,
Fritzen  =)

G. Bell

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »
Sat/Sun would be fantastic, but I do understand that these fine people running this operation are doing it for nothing and I respect that they are working hard to create a fun realistic environment for all of us to enjoy and I know that we are not entitled to a time at our convenience and that I'm a guest asking permission to play in their sandbox...run on sentence...with that said....
I'm a working adult with a family;  am definitely not apposed to having two op days for operations if applicable. Am I correct that the op time is 2000EST? I'm on PST and puts me into 1am on Sunday, I'd be useless at work witch would kill it for me. =(

Thank you for your time and  consideration,
Fritzen  =)

Isn't it more around 1700PST when it is 2000EST? 

PFC (Ret) H. Hansen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »
EST is ahead of PST... However since I'm European I have no clue how many hours as I have no idea how many time zones are in the States, but 3 hours sounds about right.
H. HANSEN
PFC, USA
Retired

SPC (Ret) Filley

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »

Isn't it more around 1700PST when it is 2000EST?

Affirmitive
C. FILLEY
SPC, USA
Retired

Timmy Park

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »
Third task force with an earlier Ops time to suit EU or as an alternative for US would definitely have my interest here. Only posted this so you can gauge level of potential interest. Best of luck with your new unit anyway, several of my friends moved here. 😉

N. Jackson

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
It would be awesome to see this happen so i dont have to get up at 2 AM :D

Taseski

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »
I support this idea since i am EU based player and for the other outside USA players for the different timezone would be just great.

SSG O'Keefe "My hope is that as we move forward, we will not rule out the possibility of running different taskforces on different times/days".

SGT (Ret) Ashes

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »
long time member of the 15th here..thought id stick my nose in to see what all the new hub bub is about =) ..but yeah id love nothing more for a saturday op time..or even 1700CST sunday op time.staying up till 4am was worth it for the fun,wasnt worth it for dragging my sleep deprived ass out of bed a handful of hours later.
D. ASHES
SGT, USA
Retired