Author Topic: Hi folks I'm an anthropologist. Don't shoot!  (Read 16564 times)

Therian

Hi folks I'm an anthropologist. Don't shoot!
« on: June 15, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
Dear All,

My name is Dave and I'm a 43 year old dude doing an MA in anthropology at Maynooth University. I'm doing a research project on virtuality and the imagination and I'm looking to talk to combat veterans, non-combat veterans and folk who have never been in the military who play Arma III. Participation will take as much of your time as you are wiling to give and will mostly involve a questionnaire type situation. My thesis is due in early August and I would really appreciate your involvement. If you think you might be interested in helping then reply to this and we can go from there.

Kindly,

David.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:07:11 PM by Therian »

Waller

Re: Hi folks I'm an anthropologist. Don't shoot!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
Bang Bang,

Shoot a link to that questionnaire once it's finished. I'll fill it out for sure. Are you going to publish the results somewhere?

Respectfully,
WO1 Waller

Hinds

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »
Interesting. I'd be down to help out. Like Mr. Waller said, hook us up with links.

V/R,

PFC Hinds

S. Cook

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »
I'm down Dave as this interests me

Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 01:57:12 AM »
I am interested in helping you out with your research, interesting topic for sure.  Hope more people jump on board.

K. Santos

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 06:22:11 AM »
I'm in

Therian

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:34:44 AM »
Thank's guys! Here is where I'm at right now. I handed in the last of my term papers on the 31st of May which left me exhausted so I'm taking a little break. My next step is to write up the theoretical chapter but I'll draft a questionnaire before I get stuck into that and post it here. I hope this work gets published but that really depends on how good it is. But rest assured, I'm aiming for publication. With that said, I'll draft a consent form for participants to sign and issues such as anonymity &c. can be discussed and negotiated. Thank's again for showing interest and I'll keep you all updated as much as I can.

David

P. Grimm

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 08:27:32 AM »
I 'm in

SGT Kahrs

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
I'm up for it!
A. KAHRS
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

B. Black

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »
Love to help a scholar, plus this sounds interesting enough to me.

SSG (Ret) J. Hart

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Im down
J. HART
SSG, USA
Retired

CW2 (Ret) O'Neill

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 06:55:16 PM »
Sign me up
K. O'NEILL
CW2, USA
Retired

LaPrade

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 10:48:51 PM »
Doing a minor in anthropology myself, certainly willing to help out.

Therian

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
Hi folks,

Thank's again for showing interest. There seems to be ten of you and since I needed between ten and fifteen participants I'm happy. I still haven't written up the questionnaire but I'd like to get a bit of biographical info to get the ball rolling. It doesn't have to be an essay but I'd really appreciate if each of you could tell me a little about yourself and particularly about your relation to the military if there is any and your thought's on milsim's. I don't want to ask specific questions yet as its early days and I want to minimise my bias. Also, let me know if you want to keep the discussion here or would prefer if I give my email.

Kindly,

Dave

LaPrade

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
Hey Dave,

I am currently attending college for a BA in Criminology. I do not have any relation to the military other than some family serving, and an interest in joining after college. I have been playing Arma 3 now for less than a year, although I have played Milsims since about 2006. I think milsims are great fun, and quite different than your average mainstream shooters these days. I enjoy the level of interaction involved while playing, but also the social culture, which tends to be more mature than other gaming communities. That's my thoughts anyway.