Author Topic: Hi folks I'm an anthropologist. Don't shoot!  (Read 16607 times)

Therian

Re: Hi folks I'm an anthropologist. Don't shoot!
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2016, 05:19:57 PM »
Thank's folks I'll download TS asap. What time is good to catch a session? its 22:20 here in Dublin as I write this.

MSG J. Brewer

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »
There's almost alway people in TS (69 connected right now). Generally any time later than 18:00 EST is when the most people are online. Should you find your way to our TS feel free to come speak to me. Once you enter the server just scroll down the channels until you see my name on the Havoc 1-4 channel.
J. BREWER
1SG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

Therian

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »
Will do. Thank's man. Busy right now but I look forward to a chat.

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:10 PM »
(I think Therian's research project just got a little more interesting)
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

SPC (Ret) Ciancio

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 12:49:38 AM »
(I think Therian's research project just got a little more interesting)

hahahaha
B. CIANCIO
SPC, USA
Retired

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2016, 12:50:32 AM »
Yah - you're welcome Therian!    ;D
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

Therian

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »
Hi folks I hope all is well. I meant to post a message saying I'd be away for a while but my internet was down the evening I left. I'm down in Kerry in a secluded bungalow until Sunday 17th. I installed teamspeak before I left so I'll get back to this when I readjust to 'civilisation'.

SSG (Ret) Beard

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
Many of us look forward to meeting you on teamspeak. The 506th operates around Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5). The teamspeak server will be fairly busy during the late afternoon/early evening of Sunday the 17th, as we have an official operation at 2000 EST.

A link to the teamspeak details for the 506th can be found here: http://www.506thir.net/forums/index.php?topic=76.0

As the newly appointed S-2 Chief I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

V/R,
SGT Beard
S-2 (Public Relations), 1-506 Infantry
D. BEARD
SSG, USA
Retired

Therian

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
Hi folks,

Sorry I haven't been in touch. I had  bereavement issue which caused me to lose the plot and any motivation to do mental labour. However, I have to pull the finger out and start writing something so I was wondering if any of you could send me a link to a good Jester video which focuses on training scenarios and which includes pre-mission briefing and debriefs?

Dave

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
Hi. While not a rocket scientist or a professor in youtube video's, a quick look lead me to this video. i dont know if it is the best or what suits you. But it was the one i found.

Generally if you want training videos either look for ones marked 'squad training' or FTX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1fSkurHQJQ
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

Leeds

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
Hey Dave,

Cool to see you around again man. Hope you are doing well.

Any of his videos that are of the Field Training Exercise (FTX) cycle of this year are pretty good to review for your purposes; from "FTX 01-16 - 08-16".
I was actually just about to link the video PFC Madsen did, but he got to it before me :P.
That specific one pertained to Military Operations in Urban Terrain (MOUT) which is a necessary evil to train on constantly and consistently because there is always something that could be improved upon.

So yeah, go through all of them to get a nice taste of what our trainings consisted of and how they were conducted.

CPL Leeds
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:44:09 PM by CPL Leeds »

Therian

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
Thank's guys. My broadband signal has been really bad since June so I'm very much regretting doing internet based research. I don't know for sure because customer service aren't really that helpful but internet blinks on and off when it gets cloudy or rainy and we've had about four or five clear sky days here in Dublin this summer. Needless to say, trying to find things on the net has been a headache. Incidentally, I've been reading a fair bit and really enjoyed Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War, Michael Herr's Dispatches, Robert Mason's Chickenhawk and Eric Blehm's Legend really good. Does this make me a war junkie? Has anyone heard of Roy Benavidez? His actions in Vietnam are the subject of Blehm's book.

SSG (Ret) Beard

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »
If you are looking for an interesting War book, I would recommend Somme Mud by Edward Francis Lynch. He recorded his experiences with the Allied Expeditionary Force in France during WW1. Full of the standard Australian gallows humour. The standard Irish sense of humour appears to, in most cases, be compatible with my own species. :)
D. BEARD
SSG, USA
Retired

Therian

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2016, 06:29:06 PM »
Thank's SGT Beard. I'd say a book about the Somme is grim as a very grim thing.

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
I dont know if your project is just about arma or modern milsim. but if it is about gaming and organisation and war in general i would recommend giving this book a look, especially if your internet is bad this might be a way to do offline research

https://www.amazon.com/Empires-EVE-History-Great-Online/dp/0990972429

the book is about EVE online and how players interact in a mostly static gameworld to create history and conflict, create empires and topple empires.
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry