Author Topic: If it gets too hot, get naked (its a serious suggestion)  (Read 7138 times)

Powell

If it gets too hot, get naked (its a serious suggestion)
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »
Now that the Subject line has your attention:

The 4790K Intel has a specific problem with higher than normal heat signatures due to the voltage regulator being on-die. It saves on cost and works great in low power mode. However, in higher performance situations it generates a massive amount of heat inside the CPU. When the CPU senses those extreme temperatures (even with liquid cooled) it starts throttling itself down to reduce heat. Also contributing to this is Intels new polymer TIM solidifies at extreme temperatures (Caused by problem #1) and reduces the heat transfer off-die; further increasing CPU temperatures.

One solution: Delid your 4790K and use a Naked kit to attached your liquid cooler directly to the die. Here's just such one Naked Kit: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.

Second solution would be to actually not change anything, and just allow the CPU to keep down-throttling your CPU clock to reduce temperatures. However, if you want to get the best performance, some form of change is recommended.

Third solution.. perhaps change to Skylake. As they stopped using Internal Voltage Regulators.

Reason I posted this, is I noticed that most people in the your computer spec! thread had 4790K's

SPC (Ret) Buckner

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Re: If it gets too hot, get naked (its a serious suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:16:11 PM »

Second solution would be to actually not change anything, and just allow the CPU to keep down-throttling your CPU clock to reduce temperatures. However, if you want to get the best performance, some form of change is recommended.

The TJ Maxx on the 4790k is 100 celsius so it wont start throttling until you can cook a can of beans on it.

If you are running at stock clocks and have a decent cooling solution your temps will be more than fine.
S. BUCKNER
SPC, USA
Retired

Powell

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:15:10 AM »
If you are running at stock clocks and have a decent cooling solution your temps will be more than fine.

Correct,  but I'm expecting most people got the 4790K instead of the 4790 because the didn't want to run stock speeds. I'm currently at 4.2Ghz with air cooling, I don't want to go higher until I get my H110i GTX CLC installed (havent actually bought it yet. waiting for household 6 to get over my recent expenditures on pc upgrades).

SPC (Ret) Buckner

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
I got the 4790k for the 400Mhz higher stock clock over the 4790.

I haven't done any overclocking yet but might in the future.

Does your CPU overclocked to 4.2Ghz turbo boost to 4.6 Ghz? 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:56:31 PM by PV2 Buckner »
S. BUCKNER
SPC, USA
Retired

Truscott

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »
I don't think most people are going to want to void their warranty and very likely damage their CPU in the name of a slight temp reduction.

SSG (Ret) J. Patterson

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »
Anyone who is going to delid Skylake should be well advised that Intel thined down the CPU silicon and now de-lidding is very tricky and fragile.

https://www.caseking.de/der8auer-delid-die-mate-fsd8-015.html

Well worth the money if you are going to do this. There are also 3-d printed options available to download. I have not done this and do not really think it is a great idea in the first place. You will at most save 10-15c.

The next gen of intel (CannonLake) should have better TIM and delidding will once again be a thing of the past, we can only hope.
J. PATTERSON
SSG, USA
Retired