Author Topic: GPU High Idling temperature  (Read 6356 times)

Conway

GPU High Idling temperature
« on: January 16, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Hello,

I have a stock AMD Radeon R9 290 2gb and the temperature sits at about 70c while idling, I just opened my case and cleaned my computer from dust (there wasn't that much), and the temperature remains the same. Any suggestions to get my temperature lowered a little bit? My room temperature is 23-24 celcius, if that matters. This; http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=7287 says it should be idling at 40c.

Thanks.

Pienaar

Re: GPU High Idling temperature
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
For me my temp rises alot with arma 3 so what i did was leave the side casing open which dropped it a bit but cant say if it will help

Powell

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
High temperatures while not under load are typically bad thermal connections between the Core and the Radiator. Take your cooling fan/block off and clean it with rubbing alcohol, re do thermal paste and reseat your cooling unit.

W. Young

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
Is it still under warranty? If it is just send it back and get a new one, like WO1 Powell said it's likely the heatsink isn't seated properly.

Conway

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the answers, Young, it's a pre-built computer so I'm not sure about that, I'll contact Dell and see if I can get it replaced. Meanwhile, I'll try opening the graphic card and check the fan and see if I need to buy some thermal paste

EDIT: Fixed it, turns out that reinstalling my integrated graphics drivers fixed the problem, somehow.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:24:24 PM by WO1 Conway »

McGuire

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 03:43:31 PM »
Excellent news - yes, correctly installed drivers will definitely help as they control the speed of the fans usually. I see the same thing with my nVidia cards on test rigs I setup frequently. Glad you got it sorted though