Author Topic: Triple Monitor Setup  (Read 12974 times)

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Triple Monitor Setup
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
I currently am using an Acer G246HL monitor with my system, question is will my GTX970 be able to run 3 of these and what effects can I expect on FPS for Arma? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:
CPU: i5 4690K
MOBO: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2
GPU: MSI GTX970 4GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
SSD: 128GB Samsung 850 Pro
HHD: Western Digital 2TB Black
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:51:30 AM by PV2 Donohoe »
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
Re: Triple Monitor Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:48:34 AM »
Straight up a GTX 970 would not be able to output a playable FPS at 5760x1080. That is a SLI type resolution. x2 970's would do the trick.

Gaming over 3 monitors is somewhat overrated. Having the bevel in-between monitors becomes a pain in the ass. If you were looking at a 3-way monitor gaming setup. You would probably want to find a monitor with little to no plastic shielding on its edges.
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply CPT, I would like a bigger screen than what I have...however I feel a 27" is not that much of a jump up, so a 32" would be the obvious choice however most seem to be 2K/4K monitors in that size and again I am not sure how a GTX970 would handle that type of resolution. The triple monitor was an option purely for budget reasons as I can get 2 more of the monitor I am using on amazon for the price of one 27" monitor, also due to budget sli is not an option even though it would be an awesome ugrade.
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:54:03 PM »
Something I'm looking at are the LG UWHD monitors. Their wide screen monitors look awesome, although hefty on the wallet.
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

akoch

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »
Something I'm looking at are the LG UWHD monitors. Their wide screen monitors look awesome, although hefty on the wallet.

Can confirm they are awesome. Couple of dudes at work have them, they're sexy.

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »
I see a 34" one on newegg for $850 or so, stunning bit of kit. CPT/LT what are you using monitor wise at the moment? Is there such thing as a decent 32" 1080p monitor anymore?
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
I use 2 of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005QVZ79C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Not the best by a long shot in terms of gaming, but reasonably priced, nice size. I also only game on one monitor, the other is for productivity / watching stuff while playing, that sort of thing.

The only upgrade I will take from this point is something like this, http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-29UC97C-Ultrawide-2560x1080-Speakers/dp/B010PVTFJK/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1451938147&sr=1-3&keywords=ultra+widescreen+monitor

But until I win the lottery, I cannot justify spending the price of a games console on a monitor, not when mine are both working as they should. And along with that to be able to run that monitor an upgrade to my GPU would be required, another £600.

With both monitors I can easily game on both screens on 3840x1080 on max settings, its just dual monitors is not something that is good for gaming, a third would make it worth while.

I'm running a i7 4790k & GTX 780ti + 16GB DDR3 High freq RAM
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

Truscott

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
You can get cheaper monitors that are just as good or even better. For example, the Korean monitors that the guys at TekSyndicate keep raving about are pretty decent. If you're really hands-on you can remove the plastic bezels yourself if you find they're too large for you.

I agree 100% with Cpt Whitby - one 970 probably isn't going to be enough to achieve decent frames if the game is taking up all three monitors. You'd have to, at the minimum, set up two-way SLI with another 970. Personally, on my dual monitor setup, I only play on the monitor in front of me while the monitor that's offset to the right TeamSpeak and other things like the software that monitors my Arma 3 server (if it's being used).

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »
Should a 970 run one 1440p monitor without any issues, the more you guys post the more I know that I will be sticking with using a single monitor.
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
You can get cheaper monitors that are just as good or even better. For example, the Korean monitors that the guys at TekSyndicate keep raving about are pretty decent. If you're really hands-on you can remove the plastic bezels yourself if you find they're too large for you.

I agree 100% with Cpt Whitby - one 970 probably isn't going to be enough to achieve decent frames if the game is taking up all three monitors. You'd have to, at the minimum, set up two-way SLI with another 970. Personally, on my dual monitor setup, I only play on the monitor in front of me while the monitor that's offset to the right TeamSpeak and other things like the software that monitors my Arma 3 server (if it's being used).

I have been looking at the X-Star and Qnix, both are getting really good reviews, just dont know about ordering from South Korea and getting the monitor issue free after such a journey.
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »
Should a 970 run one 1440p monitor without any issues, the more you guys post the more I know that I will be sticking with using a single monitor.

A 970 should be fine on a 1440p monitor, although you may have dip some settings here and there, Nothing major. More like AA or MSAA.

If I were you, I'd pick up 2 of the same monitors and use 2 for productivity and one for gaming.
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »

A 970 should be fine on a 1440p monitor, although you may have dip some settings here and there, Nothing major. More like AA or MSAA.

If I were you, I'd pick up 2 of the same monitors and use 2 for productivity and one for gaming.

Thanks for all the help CPT, its appreciated.
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

Truscott

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »

I have been looking at the X-Star and Qnix, both are getting really good reviews, just dont know about ordering from South Korea and getting the monitor issue free after such a journey.

Honestly, they should be okay. Most of anything tech you buy these days make the same journey (or a very similar one from China).

SSG (Ret) Donohoe

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
K. DONOHOE
SSG, USA
Retired

1SG J. Brewer

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 05:04:31 PM »
I currently run a triple monitor setup for Arma on a single 970. I generally get a steady 20-25 frames in normal situations while recording. Right around 30 if I'm not recording. The only time I have real frame issues, it's generally the entire server feeling it. Or there is just a stupid amount of smoke and explosions in my area. I also recently ordered the EYEX so I'm excited to see how/if that will work with my monitor setup. I can tell you that after using triples it is almost impossible for me to play on a single again so that's something you may want to take in to account.

I run 3x Dell 24" 14h monitors.

I'll leave some links and pictures below:

Monitors: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260154&cm_re=Dell_E2414H_Black_24%22_5ms_Widescreen_LED_Backlight_LCD_Monitor-_-24-260-154-_-Product

Monitor stand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S7ALH8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-832-_-Product

Processor (soon to be upgraded to an I7): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286&cm_re=amd_fx_6300-_-19-113-286-_-Product

J. BREWER
1SG, USA
First Sergeant, Co A\1-506 Infantry