Author Topic: Liquid Cooling Questions  (Read 6246 times)

Powell

Liquid Cooling Questions
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »
I'm looking to get and new case and add either a CLC or OLC. Particullarly Im trying to find an attractive ATX case that would fit a 280 to 360 radiator. If anyone has any suggestions on a case, that would be greatly appreciated and why you recommend it.

For a CLC im looking at H110i GTX 280mm and for OLC Im looking at either RX240 Dual Fan Radiator V3 or RX360 Dual Fan Radiator V3. But the hard problem I'm finding, is a case that would easily accept them and less risk of it not fitting then having to ship things back and swap them out etc etc, I'd like for this to work the first time through.

One particular case I was looking at was the Cooler Master HAF 932. I know the water reservoir fill hole will not work for most of these, but I'm not really wanted to take advantage of that. The issue I have with the HAF 932 is that I would have to remove the 230mm fan on the top, which I would actually prefer to keep running for case ventilation. I may have to just get over that fact and use the roof exhaust panel for the radiator. But was really wanting to find another solution if possible.

CLC: I really like the idea of CLC so I dont have to take the case apart every 6 months to purge and clean the loop.
OLC: More maintenance, but can sometimes squeeze out better cooling (according to reviews).

I'm currently running an i7-4790k Devils Canyon and want to over clock it so performance cooling is more of my goal.

MAJ (Ret) Irwin

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
Re: Liquid Cooling Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
I just got a Corsair 750D case. Has plenty of room for up to a 360 radiator system on top and a 280 on the front and bottom(enough space for push and pull config). Plenty of room for a large system. And the price ain't bad. Got it off of newegg for $125. Last I checked they still have it on sale. You can check it out here http://www.506thir.net/forums/index.php?topic=9173.0.
W. IRWIN
MAJ, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) J. Patterson

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
I just got a Fractal Define S. Very good case for WC setups and only $100. I had a HAF 922 and it was loud and dust prone, couldn't watercool in that case. Not the best as it is an 8 year old design.

The define s can fit a 420 in the top and a 380 in front with options for all kinds of other configs. Stupid quiet and extremely well thought out. No optical or hard drive bays, everything is done at the back. If you need an optical drive, get an external. If you have more than 3 3.5" hard drives, you are doing it wrong imo, get a NAS.

I'm running a 240 in front and it is very easy to setup a loop in. Not sure what you mean by CLC (closed loop?) or OLC. A 360 rad for CPU only cooling will have very minimal improvement over a 240, so I'd save your money and get a damn good 240 instead. Alphacool and EK have great rads in particular.

If done properly a custom loop can easily last more than 3 years.

You will not need two rads for
J. PATTERSON
SSG, USA
Retired

Foglia

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
My setup is water cooled and I have the Corsair 600t. Couldn't be happier with the case: tons of room, its adaptable, and the airflow is great.