Author Topic: PCI-E Network Adapters?  (Read 4295 times)

SPC Maines

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
PCI-E Network Adapters?
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
Afternoon everyone!

Ive been having a horrid time trying to maintain a good wireless connection as of late due to having to run of a USB thing bought at wal-mart. Anyone have any ideas on a good PCI-E Network adapter or an alternative to help with this? I cannot return to wired as 1) it would require drilling a hole in the ceiling of my house (Mother wont like this) and 2) Ill be moving soon anyway so Id like it to become a permanent part of my PC

Thanks!
Z. MAINES
SPC, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

McGuire

Re: PCI-E Network Adapters?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
While I always encourage people to use wired connections as often as possible, we do not want to drill holes in floors of your mom's house  :)
Can you not run it through the attic or walls? Just a thought

As for the PCI-E Network Adapters, I have used a few - do you know about how much you wanna spend? I've used ones with multiple antennas attached to the card itself like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704241 and also ones with extensions like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320173

In general, the ones with the extensions work better as often the back of your PC is under a desk or facing a wall and getting those antennas up and available is better for your signal.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:09:40 PM by PV2 J. McGuire »

SPC O'Connell

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »
I had problems with different brands for a solid six months till I bought an asus n53 and have had no issues in over 3 years.
M. O'CONNELL
SPC, USA
Retired

MSgt (Ret) Benevento

• 1Z371 Tactical Air Control Party
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »
It isn't what you're looking for, but I bought one of these so I can use my laptop to watch hockey while I play games. My router is on the other side of the house and on a different floor so my wireless is terrible. I put one of those in my room and the other one is plugged in near my router and connected through Ethernet. I don't use it for gaming so I can't really comment on the performance, but my connection is just as stable as my wired PC and I get my full download speed (~28 Mbps) from it when streaming video. Since it uses your electrical wiring for the network connection the performance can vary from house to house, but my connection is surprisingly outstanding with it. You can connect to the WiFi part of it with ethernet so you will essentially have an ad hoc wired connection.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:12:25 PM by MSgt Benevento »
M. BENEVENTO
MSgt, USAF
Retired

G. Knight

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
but I bought one of these

Highly recommend, I use these very things to stream 1080p to my Android boxes.    And you can take them with you when you move.

E. Ray

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
It isn't what you're looking for, but I bought one of these so I can use my laptop to watch hockey while I play games. My router is on the other side of the house and on a different floor so my wireless is terrible. I put one of those in my room and the other one is plugged in near my router and connected through Ethernet. I don't use it for gaming so I can't really comment on the performance, but my connection is just as stable as my wired PC and I get my full download speed (~28 Mbps) from it when streaming video. Since it uses your electrical wiring for the network connection the performance can vary from house to house, but my connection is surprisingly outstanding with it. You can connect to the WiFi part of it with ethernet so you will essentially have an ad hoc wired connection.

I'll second the powerline adapter recommendation here. If you absolutely cannot drill holes to run cable, then powerline is the next best thing. Just make sure that you're plugging in to power outlets that are on the same circuit, and that you are plugging directly into the outlet, not a surge protector or some sort of intermediary.

The nice thing about the powerline adapters is that they double as wifi access points, so if nothing else, your wifi signal should improve. I do find that they have to be occasionally unplugged/replugged, though.