Open Forum > Computer Hardware

New Computer

(1/2) > >>

SGT (Ret) Falconer:
Corsair Carbide 330R Blackout Edition

Cooler Master G650M, 650W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular, 4x 6+2pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 6x Molex, 1x FD

ASUS Z97-P, Socket-1150 ATX, Z97, DDR3, 2xPCIe-x16, VGA, DVI, HDMI, M.2, Fan Xpert 2+, HomeCloud

Intel Core i7-4790K Socket-LGA1150,Quad Core,4.0GHz,8MB,88W,22nm,HD4600

HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Red 2x8GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2) HyperX Fury Red Series PnP

ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 980 4GB PCI-Express 3.0, "DirectCU II"

Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5” SSD SATA 6GB/s, 535MB/450MB

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Yes, managed to find WIN7 available)

Im not an expert on computer stuff, but this looks pretty solid to me.
Thoughts?

2LT (Ret) Storm:
I love ASUS products. I called ASUS customer service a few times to assist with my build - their support is second to none.  I personally have an ASUS motherboard (Formula VII) and graphics card (Strix GTX 970) and their performance is excellent. I would consider going with the GTX 970 over the 980 and save a few dollars. With the money you save, you could purchase an all-in-one CPU water cooler.

Overall, a solid build.

Joyce:
Looks solid. Consider adding a traditional HDD as a "data" drive, as SSDs have a limited number of read/write cycles and keeping your low-priority stuff off of it will extend its lifespan. Also make sure your cooling game is on lock, then overclock that processor about 10-15% for best ARMA-related results

SGT (Ret) Falconer:
I dont think the SSD lifespan will be an issue as I use the computer for gaming and interneting only. As for cooling, I have never trusted watercooling because I dont think water should be that close to sensitive electronics and I have never had cooling issues before so im assuming it will work now aswell.

I got the 980 instead of the 970 simply because the website told me to and money really wasnt an issue at the time.
ASUS was the standard stuff that was on it and they test it at the factory to assure component compatibility so there wont be any issues there.

Guy:
Regarding the SSD questions, I am limited in expertise. However, I use a Samsung EVO 840 1TB as my primary (and only) storage in my gaming laptop.

Thus far, I have not had any problems. I think the read/write limits of an SSD are exponentially higher than that of an HDD.

As for heat, I am amazed with how cool my SSD remains even after long gaming sessions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version