Open Forum > Computer Hardware

FPS issues during FTX's (Great Solutions. Last FTX was 15+ frames at its worst)

(1/3) > >>

McGraw:
So I'm fresh back to PC gaming and ARMA from a long hiatus, (last played OFP when it came out) and I'm quite rusty on the matter. I have read that ARMA3 still doesn't make use of all the cores of the quad core. During this Last FTX (as well as some large scale fun missions) I experienced increasing fram rate issues roughly an hour in. I'm trying to alleviate this as best I can. My PC seems to be more than adequate based on the recommended ARMA 3 specs. So I'm looking for suggestions on settings to  get the most out of my experience. Nothing ruins emersion more than frame rate that is so low, the game is unplayable which of course is far from fun. Here is the PC I have.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-red/7358029.p?id=1219267042026&skuId=7358029

Montana:
Try using launch parameters. Here are mine:  -cpuCount=8 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=2047 -maxVram=3729 -noBenchmark -noLogs -noPause -noSplash -world=empty

Check out this link for more info on Startup Parameters.

Also adjust view distance so that objects appear at a distance that is comfortable to play with. I personally set my view distance to 8km while flying but turn off the grass. When I am Infantry this comes down to nearly 2km with full grass on. I try to aim for a steady 30fps. Asking for any more than that during an Op is probably futile unless you have a pretty damn nice rig.

Lastly you can look up some guides on how to set your graphics for optimal performance. Believe it or not some things set to high or even ultra will net you better fps. I think this is the guide I used.

On a side note I would recommend picking up a better video card as your next PC upgrade. It wouldn't hurt having more than 2gb of memory on your GPU.

McGraw:
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that stuff. I do plan on upgrading my graphics card for sure.  Debating if and when i should upgrade my chip to an i7.  From what i have read i really don't need to unless i want to start streaming or recording for youtube,twitch etc which I don't plan on doing anytime soon if ever. 

Any sggestions for graohics cards?  I feel like nvidia is the way to go.  I would want to get the biggest bang for my buck.  Not sure if that would be something a step down from top of the line, or maybe dual lower level cards?????

As of right now i tend to run a steady 30-40 fps in SP and on MP wastland servers.  It's just an hour+ into ops that it gets so low its unplayable.  From what i've seen on Cpt Drumhellers videos, its obvious others arent having such huge issues.  I know that 40+ fps probably isnt going to happen with ARMA due to its level of optimization (or lack of it).  I'd be happy with 20+ for ops. Anything is better than what I'm getting now.

Montana:

--- Quote from: PV2 McGraw on May 12, 2015, 10:28:25 AM ---Thanks for the info. I'll look into that stuff. I do plan on upgrading my graphics card for sure.  Debating if and when i should upgrade my chip to an i7.  From what i have read i really don't need to unless i want to start streaming or recording for youtube,twitch etc which I don't plan on doing anytime soon if ever. 

--- End quote ---

I agree, you probably won't ever need that much power if you plan to do none of those things. Even an i5 is capable of streaming/recording decent quality.

--- Quote ---Any sggestions for graohics cards?  I feel like nvidia is the way to go.  I would want to get the biggest bang for my buck.  Not sure if that would be something a step down from top of the line, or maybe dual lower level cards?

--- End quote ---

Best bang for your buck in my opinion is this card. I personally use it, but it does come with a decent price tag. If you look around hard enough you can get some rebates or deals and knock it down a few bucks. Any cards better than this will not net you as much performance per dollar so this is about as high as I would go. Here is a good article explaining how I came to this conclusion. The author keeps it up to date monthly in case you are planning on purchasing in sometime in the future.

--- Quote ---As of right now i tend to run a steady 30-40 fps in SP and on MP wastland servers.  It's just an hour+ into ops that it gets so low its unplayable.  From what i've seen on Cpt Drumhellers videos, its obvious others arent having such huge issues.  I know that 40+ fps probably isnt going to happen with ARMA due to its level of optimization (or lack of it).  I'd be happy with 20+ for ops. Anything is better than what I'm getting now.

--- End quote ---

Hopefully getting your settings optimized and running those paramaters will help. There have been many times where I personally have encountered frame drops at the end of an OP. I guess it is just something to be expected with the amount of awesome that goes on. :)

McGraw:
Thanks a bunch.  I'll definitely look into that card. Working on getting all my settings optimized and doing the parameters. hopefully that will make some progress.

If you were in this past sundays op, I made it to just as we were getting into the second objective with the gas station on the south side.  Then it started going down hill from there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version