Author Topic: Need second hard drive . . .  (Read 5244 times)

Dekker

Need second hard drive . . .
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
I am looking for recommendations for a second hard drive.  My current one is out of space. Doesn't have to be HUGE or top of the line.  Just a good drive that I can just plug in and go. I hear SSD is the way to go, vs HDD. I have an external drive which I was considering moving steam and arma to that drive.  Only problem with that is, it's a USB 2.0.  I don't think I would get good results like I would if it were USB 3.0.  I am under a little time crunch as I have day 4 of OSUT this evening!  Nothing like last minute issues!!  If nothing else, I will move some of my files to my external just so I can get through OSUT and then address the issue this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

Maple

Re: Need second hard drive . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
I can't give you any hard drive recommendations, but I'd advise you against moving ARMA onto an external drive as the writing speed is significantly slower and can cause performance issues. If you're that desperate, I'd move some unnecessary files over for the time being.

Goldberg

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »
I'm guessing you have one 1TB hard drive with everything on it? Ok, first, delete things that you just don't need anymore. Then, run a defrag. Secondly, run off to a local computer hardware store (Tigerdirect, CompUSA, Microcenter, or maybe even BestBuy) and get yourself another harddrive (1TB is good enough). It shouldn't cost you more that $80 bucks depending on the brand. Get that, install it into the computer (also pick up a SATA cable just in case you don't have an extra one), and move everything that's not Windows and Steam into that drive.

Dekker

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:30:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  That was my thought exactly Chief.  I have read mixed review about doing that, decided to not take the chance. 

Goldberg, couldn't I just put my steam and ArmA file on the second drive?  That would be a lot less headache.  This computer doubles as my work/game computer.  I have a lot of CAD, 3D and image editing software on it, hence the reason I have run out of space.  I was thinking of using the second drive as my gaming drive.  If thats possible.

Goldberg

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  That was my thought exactly Chief.  I have read mixed review about doing that, decided to not take the chance. 

Goldberg, couldn't I just put my steam and ArmA file on the second drive?  That would be a lot less headache.  This computer doubles as my work/game computer.  I have a lot of CAD, 3D and image editing software on it, hence the reason I have run out of space.  I was thinking of using the second drive as my gaming drive.  If thats possible.

I would have a hard drive dedicated to steam games and other games and a hard drive dedicated to your professional work. I personally have my set up where I have SSD as my OS drive, a HDD for steam and 2 more HDDs for music, movies, documents etc.

Dekker

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
Thanks again Goldberg!