Open Forum > Computer Hardware

Computer Build

(1/5) > >>

O'Dette:
Hey, guys.

So, I'm (fairly certain I will be) working a job over the summer that will net me ~$2000 by the end of July, which is also when the job ends. I've already set aside ~$1100 for building a new computer*, and I thought I'd open my idea up to you guys to see what you think about the build I've been working the preliminaries on.

Just some basic rules.
1. I'm trying to keep costs on the computer itself below $1200 at the very least, $1300 at the very most. Obviously I want the latter over the former.
2. I'm not trying to build some supercomputer. I just want something that can run well and at slightly-better-than-decent graphics big games like ArmA III, Star Citizen, etc.
3. This computer needs to be easily portable (as I'm bringing it to college with me when my next semester starts in late August) and therefore needs to be inside a tower.
4. I know practically nothing about how computers actually work, so explain why you want to make a change to my proposed build and what effect it will have on the PC.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d7HTD3

Thanks,
O'Dette

*I actually plan on enlisting with the 506th not long after I come home from school in early May, meaning that this computer is mainly meant to be acquired before I return to college rather than before I join up.

1LT (Ret) Ryan:
Do you have anything to start off?

A case or any sort of peripherals? I'll let others get into the nuts and bolts of the machine because I only feel like digging through mounds of reviews if I'm building it for myself and I'm sure others are already up to date with it all so it will be easier for them. I do know any sort of build, it's nice if you can save on the cheap stuff. Also I'd highly recommend getting a premium account on newegg. No interest for 12 months on anything over 500 bucks. Makes the hit of buying a new computer not so bad if you pay it over a few months.

Other will probably correct me if i'm wrong, but i feel like an SSD and high level CPU are the two best things to get for running ARMA 3 specifically. Graphics card would be a second.

O'Dette:
I have a mouse and can probably get a keyboard on the cheap. Either way, I've got both figured into my computer build as is just for simplicity's sake.

As for a monitor, that's a bit rougher deal. I hope I can requisition an old one from either my family or from a family friend.

SSG (Ret) J. Patterson:
Get quality RAM and HDD. What you have is not exactly going to last. Get corsair/g.skill for memory and a WD hard drive, your SSD choice is solid. I'd look into a few other motherboards as well. MSI, Asus and Gigabyte make great boards, but their entry-mid level aren't nearly as good as their mid-high/gaming boards.

Korian:
Go for DDR4 ram ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version