Author Topic: Does the entire unit play in 3rd person or is 1st person optional?  (Read 2411 times)

D.Johnston

Not necessarily sure where I was supposed to post this so I took my best guess. I was recently taking a look into joining this unit, (being 19 and having plenty of free time) but I noticed that most of the Youtube content from you guys is third person gameplay. Does everyone in the unit have to use 3rd person or is first person an option for those who want it?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 01:00:44 PM by D.Johnston »

1LT J. N. Lee

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
Re: Does the entire unit play in 3rd person or is 1st person optional?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 02:11:06 PM »
Player perspective is completely optional. Many members in the unit use 3rd person as it gives them better situational awareness. An argument can be made for greater immersion in 1st person but due to the game's FOV being limited - even with mods - and it taking away all senses except for visual and audio, it's too much of a limiting factor for how chaotic and hectic unit events can get, especially considering Arma's well-known performance issues.
J. N. LEE
1LT, IN
Platoon Leader, Co A\1-506 Infantry

MSG Speirs

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
Re: Does the entire unit play in 3rd person or is 1st person optional?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 02:15:34 PM »
Further to SFC Lee's reply, 3rd person usage is intended to be used to increase awareness however; information gathered that would not be seen if playing in first person should not be acted upon. For example, you cannot typically see over top of an H-Barrier in first person; if you're in 3rd person you can.

Typically this is most relevant in a MOUT situation when clearing a town, third person is not to be used to see over walls.

I personally utilize first person as much as possible as I prefer the immersion provided by that perspective.
E. SPEIRS
MSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry