Open Forum > Computer Hardware

Mysterious PC Crashes

<< < (2/4) > >>

Capt (Ret) Avery:
Ah event 41, the catch all error. Most cases for ID 41 is overheating, defective PSU, memory issues or motherboard issues.

I recommend downloading HWMonitor, place that program on your secondary monitor (if you have one) and watch the temperatures of all your components while you play the games in question. The program has a min/max column so it can be a easier way to see the max temperatures of the components while you game.

How old is your PSU? Do you have a spare laying around?

SPC Price:
Either it's overheating, but the sensor doesn't work properly... Or it's not overheating and the sensor thinks it is. Either way, that can be a cause.

SPC Price:
Just saw this...

--- Quote from: SPC McDougall on April 18, 2020, 04:02:46 PM ---- System has been installed since August 2014

--- End quote ---

That can also cause all sorts of issues and not even give you any feedback. Six years is plenty for an OS and it can start throwing hissy fits at you...

SPC McDougall:
I don't have an extra PSU, unfortunately. The PSU is as old as my computer, bought it brand new in August 2014.

The following temperatures were taken after about 20 minutes of the Witcher 3 running, in an instance where it did not crash on load up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Capt (Ret) Avery:
Temperatures look like they are fine. Since you do not have a spare PSU, I would look at running memtest off a USB stick on three different configurations with DIMM slots and RAM sticks.

Run memtest with both sticks in their dual channel mode (DIMM slot 1 and 3, or 2 and 4).

Run memtest with one stick (DIMM slot 1 or 2).

Run memtest with the OTHER stick (DIMM slot 1 or 2).

memtest can take awhile to fully complete, in my experience if there is a faulty RAM stick, errors start popping up immediately and quickly start adding up, which I usually end the test pretty early when that happens.

Doing the above would take the RAM sticks off the list of culprits, and I only suggest it since its something you can do for free and quickly, given you have a spare USB stick laying around.

I do have a feeling it could be the PSU though, 550w is the typical lowest wattage PSU for gaming builds. Also the PSU is 6 years old, I would look to replace the PSU first given your situation.

EDIT: If you are strapped for cash given the situation in the world, I recommend keeping an eye on the r/BuildAPCSales subreddit for PSU deals. Aim for bronze or higher PSU's. I typically go with EVGA modular PSU's and I usually see deals for them sort of frequently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version