Author Topic: Flight Controls  (Read 7126 times)

SPC (Ret) Stein

• 11B Infantry
  • Retired
Flight Controls
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:23:38 PM »
what is the best flight control system ak Joystick, Throttle, and Petal setup for rotary wing pilots not to cheap not to expensive? What does everyone use?
J. STEIN
SPC, USA
Retired

K. Gaudet

Re: Flight Controls
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
It's all preference really. We've had capable pilots using all control schemes.

I've personally used keyboard and mouse, HOTAS w/ facetracking, and controllers. I settled with the Steam Controller. It took days to set up properly but was well worth it and I prefer it over anything else.

CW4 Stowe

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:45:54 PM »
SPC Buchman,

I recently purchased the Thrustmaster T.16000M HOTAS and it has met all of my needs.  The price is in the mid-range and offers a wide range of programmable options.  I do use a third party program, XPadder, to enable me to key bind more options and I will gladly discuss those details when needed.

Tony
T. STOWE
CW4, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

Treyum

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:55:41 PM »

Rollins

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
I have a full HOTAS setup that works well with Elite Dangerous but I could never make use of it in ARMA for some reason. So, I fly with a Logitech G13 gamepad and mouse and a EDtracker for looking around. My suggestion would be to try out a few different things if you can borrow from a friend before laying out any cash. I've blown so much money on shit that ended up being a paper weight because I can't stand it.

SPC (Ret) Roche

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »
FaceTrackNoIR + Webcam or TrackIR 5 Pro for head-tracking, which makes a big difference in flight.
M. ROCHE
SPC, USA
Retired

SGT (Ret) Van Haarlem

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »
I. VAN HAARLEM
SGT, USA
Retired

Treyum

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 12:24:54 AM »
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog.

I wish

hehehe, i have it

So do the other 74th guys. TBH, it's total overkill for Arma, but perfect for DCS.

Capt (Ret) Soto

• 11F3B Fighter Pilot
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 09:27:48 PM »
It's only slightly overkill for Arma but what everyone misses when budgeting for one is that they also need pedals. That being said, apart from the utterly useless T.A.R.G.E.T software, the quality is unmatched. However, the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS really is the sweet spot for an affordable good quality HOTAS if ballin out to the Warthog isn't feasible. Saitek reviews are mixed and my experiences with them has been poor so I will not personally recommend one; bear in mind this is all IMHO.
R. SOTO
Capt, USAF
Retired

B. Anderson

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »

CW4 Stowe

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
The T.A.R.G.E.T. software appears useless unless you have the exorbant amount of time to figure it out - definitely not your "plug and play" software package.  I completely agree with your Saitek comment!  I first purchase the X56 HOTAS and it was truly amazing - to look at and hold; however, reality kicked in within the first few days of owning it when both the throttle and cyclic broke.  Garbage.

It's only slightly overkill for Arma but what everyone misses when budgeting for one is that they also need pedals. That being said, apart from the utterly useless T.A.R.G.E.T software, the quality is unmatched. However, the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS really is the sweet spot for an affordable good quality HOTAS if ballin out to the Warthog isn't feasible. Saitek reviews are mixed and my experiences with them has been poor so I will not personally recommend one; bear in mind this is all IMHO.
T. STOWE
CW4, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

J. Rogers

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
I have used keyboard and mouse a couple of times but I like the immersion feel to joysticks. I just got the Thrustmaster Warthog and I love it! Having so many buttons at my fingertips has really made me not need to hit anything on the keyboard during flight anymore. I made my own collective as well for 50$ bucks and I have a pair of the Saitek pro flight pedals. I personally enjoy using all the controls that would be needed for flying a helicopter and this helps me with the "realism" (as much as one can get from Arma) feel.