Open Forum > Public Discussion

Things I Wish I'd Known as a New 506th Recruit

(1/7) > >>

SFC (Ret) Lyon:
Just hit the one year anniversary of my first official Op with the 506th IRRU.  That, paired with a recent post from a potential new recruit made me ask myself, "What's the one thing you know now that you wish you had known as a new recruit?". 

For me, the answer was simple:  You can lean on these folks.

As a new recruit I didn't want to seem too green and probably didn't ask as many questions as I should have.  That was a mistake. 

The 506th is jam-packed full of men and women who are not only willing, but anxious to help others.  We're all here because we enjoy a co-operative experience.  People here want to help you.  You can post in Global "Requesting volunteer to tutor me in How to Zeus" and have three people fighting over who gets to help.  You can ask a total stranger for help getting your Loadouts squared away and they'll drop whatever they're doing to assist.

Leeds:
This is a good thread. I'm going to go ahead and post things that I wish I knew when I first joined, that I didn't learn until an absurd amount of time later.

* You can change your ACE options to have a better interaction menu than default. Located in ACE settings when you hit ESC
* Don't post weird things in global as an FNG. I'd say only post when you have the intention of gathering a group of people to do something
* LShift + ` to point at things in the field
* LCtrl + v to climb on objects
* Don't call anyone that isn't an officer "sir" (last one's just obligatory)

Rigger:
A PV1 CAN fill-in for an Official Training at the discretion of the person holding the Training.
Do this as much as possible so you can learn and meet people.

McIntosh:
That you can join almost any fun op, even if its in progress, just ask.

SFC (Ret) Lyon:
-Ask your Squad or Team leader to suggest important forum threads you should set to "Notify".  Your Platoon and Squad Bulletin Boards are prime candidates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version