Author Topic: need a new computer in a month or so.  (Read 4314 times)

SGT (Ret) Caruthers

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
need a new computer in a month or so.
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tRmqK8

so what do you think? i want a 980 Ti video card, but if someone knows a better brand. also SSD has to be 1TB for me, but willing to get a  Mushkin 2.5"   SSD   1TB   $229.89 but don't know anything about this brand
R. CARUTHERS
SGT, USA
Retired

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
Re: need a new computer in a month or so.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
why do you want a 1TB SSD?

You could get a 4TB Hybrid and a 500gb SSD for the same price.

Not saying of course that you cant get a 1TB, but for me i think i could easily just make do with a hybrid and 500gb ssd.

Otherwise the only thing i would consider to change would be the Case so you get a case as allows for an optical drive, through nowadays that is not strictly necesary, but that is the only thing i would keep in mind/consider, otherwise i am almost jealous looking at your build.
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

SGT (Ret) Caruthers

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »
why do you want a 1TB SSD?

You could get a 4TB Hybrid and a 500gb SSD for the same price.

Not saying of course that you cant get a 1TB, but for me i think i could easily just make do with a hybrid and 500gb ssd.

Otherwise the only thing i would consider to change would be the Case so you get a case as allows for an optical drive, through nowadays that is not strictly necesary, but that is the only thing i would keep in mind/consider, otherwise i am almost jealous looking at your build.

It maybe a good idea, but right now I got a 3TB HD and only use 500gbs of it for the passed 5 years, so 1TB SSD would be over kill for me. But never know how games are getting bigger and bigger every year.

Funny story about the optical drive, I went out in town to buy a optical drive for my computer now because I had a Windows CD install, and the one I had was broke. Installed Windows with it, and never used it again in over 5-6 years.
R. CARUTHERS
SGT, USA
Retired

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
yea, i have not used mine for around half a year either, but then, sometimes you have to install windows :p
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

SSG (Ret) J. Patterson

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »
Don't get a 1TB ssd, unless you edit in RAW. Insane for the money, even now. Go 500GB SSD and get a large 7200RPM hard drive like a WD Black, maybe two of em in RAID 1, you'd probably breakeven on price.
J. PATTERSON
SSG, USA
Retired

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:01:40 PM »
The absolute ultimate mix is a 250-500GB SSD, and a 1TB+ HDD Either WD Black or Seagate standard drives have great Read / Write speeds. You don't need a 1TB SSD.

Also, don't buy a GPU with reference cooler, get a ACX cooler. I just come off of having a Reference card for 2 years. The cooling difference is massive.
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

SGT (Ret) Caruthers

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:51:49 PM »
Should make a small update. I got like 5 HDD laying around the house. 2 5tb HDD is in a dual stacker that I got all my movies, music, and other stuff on hooked up to my wifi so I can pull it from anywhere.

Also got 2 1tb passport external hard drives for recording video games on. So space is not a problem.

And a friend is going to sell me a Mushkin brand 1TB SSD for 50 bucks. So should I just take the Mushkin, and put a HDD in as I need them?

Also thanks for all the help. This is very helpful info.
R. CARUTHERS
SGT, USA
Retired

CPT (Ret) Whitby

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:05:57 AM »
I've never heard of Mushkin so I'm not sure on their reliability. Do you trust this friend to why he would sell a 1TB SSD for $50?

I would recommend a Samsungs 850 EVO 250-500gb SSD for OS, And for video recording, if your talking game footage you want something with the capacity but the write speed needs to be high. I don't recommend external drives for recording.

All my recordings go on to this drive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006KCX0UE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
It has a crazy Read / Write data transfer rates, along with the space. The higher your Read / writes on your recording drives are the less FPS you will lose during recording.
J. WHITBY
CPT, USA
Retired

SGT (Ret) Caruthers

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:18:14 AM »
I got that same drive in my computer right now, and it runs great. Have two 1tb as backups stting with old files on it so I know what your talking about.

From what I get (like you I have never even heard of Mushkin) it's got over 100 5 star reviews on Amazon. And the one stars a Mushkin support contacted them right after the review. So I may give it a try, and if it fails I got backups.

Mostly why all the questions about SSD is I have never used one before.

The help is greatly appreciated. Already sent from a 2k build to a 1700.00 build with different parts.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:21:31 AM by CPL Caruthers »
R. CARUTHERS
SGT, USA
Retired