Author Topic: Grunt Talk Issue 1, Volume 1: Capt Soto  (Read 4587 times)

J. Wade

Grunt Talk Issue 1, Volume 1: Capt Soto
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »
GRUNT TALK END OF DEPLOYMENT SPECIAL EDITION
Myself and Capt Soto at the start of the interview

After successfully completed their deployment to Al Rayak, I had the opportunity to talk with an A-10 pilot who actively took part in the different phases of Operation Righteous Eagle.

Throughout this deployment, the men and women of the 506th were actively engaged in fierce firefights against a determined enemy, the ERPA. Now that the 506th has been redeployed to Fort Irwin, California, the troops are once again going through a new field training exercise (FTX) cycle to prepare themselves for a possible new deployment within the next few months.

Shortly before departing Al Rayak, I met with Captain Soto. The pilot seemed to be happy to tell Grunt Talk about his deployment experience. I spoke with him on the tarmac at airbase Minnesota prior to the task force's redeployment to Fort Irwin.

Capt Soto showing me its A-10 aircraft

I’ve asked him a few questions on his deployment experience and he was proud to tell me a few anecdotes.

When asking Capt Soto about his role during his time in Al Rayak, he answered me that: “At the beginning of Operation Righteous Eagle in Kalu Khan, I deployed with the rest of the 74th FS Detachment however shortly after arriving in Al Rayak, I was made the squadron commander and led our A-10's in their duties of assisting ground forces with the completion of their objective by means of close air support, reconnaissance and air superiority.”

Captain Soto was also the first U.S. Air Force pilot to become an ace since the end of the Vietnam War. That said, when asked about a worrisome situation, he felt uncomfortable but still told me an intense story.

“Not long after the transition to Al Rayak, one of our ground task forces operating out of COP Lion conducted what we thought would be a simple show-of-force patrol to the north against insurgent held territory near the airport in the region.  I took a surface to air missile launch that was far beyond the capabilities we had seen from insurgent guerillas with their shoulder fired munitions.  That kind of firepower only came from anti-air weapons reserved for organized militaries.  Sure enough, shortly after that we encountered the first ERPA forces and they threw everything they had in a ferocious ambush as our guys moved in a valley.  They had T-90's rolling down the road with about a company's worth of mechanized infantry right behind.  The ground forces called me in to stall the advance and I fired everything I had just to slow them down enough for our infantry to get out of there.  My plane was shot to pieces and when I lost an engine I really started to worry for our guys in the battle.  I knew if I couldn't stop the tanks, they could be overrun, so I stayed in the fight long after I should have gone home to make sure our troopers made it to a defensible position.  After I ran out of ordinance and countermeasures, I headed back to base knowing the guys were finally back at the COP; I'd be lying if I said I was sure we'd all get out of there alive.”

After telling me this story, I could feel Capt Soto’s willingness to counter this story with a more positive one so I let him continue talking.

“Interestingly enough it was the sortie right after the ambush in the valley of death.  Our guys had to get the tempo back on their side and staged an assault on the ERPA held airfield in the Northwest they had been patrolling in to deny the enemy any air support for the foreseeable future.  I was on CAS/CAP with them and helped breach a hole in the enemy defenses for our guys to get through.  I was keeping an eye on activity in the base and the ERPA guys scrambled their attack helicopters when they realized they were the target.  I had to bring my plane around as quickly as possible and I shot down one quickly with a missile but the second one manage to evade my remaining missile.  I was not about to let them chew up our guys so I swung back and came in low to shoot down the remaining chopper with my gun.  That was my biggest ego moment of the deployment by far,” he added with a big smile on his face.

Capt Soto telling how his ground crew have been doing a fantastic job keeping the A-10 in flying condition

Shockingly, Capt Soto is a verbal motor and I could feel him opening up. So I followed up with another quick question. I asked him if the deployment in Al Rayak was fun, if he liked the environment he was flying in.

“Deployments are always an adventure and the variety of environments and terrain kept us guessing the whole way through.  There are few moments more exhilarating then when you get a SAM launch tone in your helmet and have to duck behind a mountain and go ripping over tree tops to evade it while enemy tracer fire zips by.  You wouldn't think it's possible to ambush a plane but believe me it can be done.  I certainly liked operating out of Airbase Minnesota in Al Rayak more than Enbody Field in Kalu Khan though.  Kalu Khan could just barely support the A-10 but that's what we're made for: operating in forward areas and supporting the ground troops,” he quickly added.

While walking to the officers’ mess, Capt Soto invited me for lunch and we started talking about possible future deployments. Knowing the operational tempo of the United Stated military, I knew the 74th Detachment of the 23rd Wing would once again be deployed to support the 506th.

“I haven't the foggiest idea.  Frankly, I'm happy to get home and get back into the training rotation to refine the lessons we learned out there into our tactics.  There's always trouble brewing out in the world though and, rest assured, the Flying Tigers are ready to back up our boots on the ground should it come to that,” he told me after taking a sip of his Gatorade.

Capt Soto’s flight was scheduled to take off within the next three hours so before I left him, I had one last question to ask him. I asked him: “What would you tell to someone who is thinking about joining the 506th IRRU?”

Discussing ordnance with Capt Soto

I felt like he was surprised with this question as he is a pilot and not an infantryman. However, I was pleased with his answer and I felt like Capt Soto had a great relationship with the ground troops.

“Best advice: know your role and execute your duties in that role to the best of your ability.  It doesn't matter if you're a task force commander or a rifleman.  The guys next to you are counting on you to do your job perfectly; that means lots of training and holding people accountable.  We stand together.  Don't let the little things go.  If you think improvements can be made, then send it up your CoC so we can all get better together.  Once you can trust that the trooper sharing your foxhole is the very best at what he does, the experience is like none other,” he told me while shaking my hand and thanking me for the interview.

Capt Soto then gave me a 74th Detachment coin and waved me goodbye as he was walking toward its quarters to pick up his equipment and fly back home. This interview in Al Rayak was made possible with the collaboration of the 506th Infantry Regiment and the Public Affairs Officer (PAO), 1LT Hart.

In the next issue of Grunt Talk, I will be interviewing Sergeant Gregor and Corporal Locke who were both deployed on the ground here in Al Rayak.

Paul Schaeffer, Grunt Talk Foreign Correspondent.

This news report is a work of fiction to support 506IR ARMA Realism Unit gameplay. Image courtesy of Capt Soto
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:10:16 PM by WO1 J. Wade »

Maple

Re: Grunt Talk Issue 1, Volume 1: Capt Soto
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:39:31 AM »
Some serious effort and excellent writing went into this. Good to read.

SPC (Ret) Tonti

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
Nice Work.
A. TONTI
SPC, USA
Retired

CPT Hammersmain

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
I need to talk w/ Capt Soto more -- maybe he'll buy me lunch... 

Seriously though, great article.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:32:24 PM by SFC Hammersmain »
R. HAMMERSMAIN
CPT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

CW2 (Ret) Nobel

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »
Excellent writing. Love reading these, as they enhance our experience in the 506th. I love calling in our pilots on danger close fire missions. Our pilots are the best in the business, and they sure get us out of tough situations on the ground!
J. NOBEL
CW2, AV
Retired

1st Lt (Ret) Barba

• 11F3B Fighter Pilot
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »
Outstanding work as always Wade, you've really set the bar high!
C. BARBA
1st Lt, USAF
Retired

CW2 (Ret) O'Neill

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 01:33:29 PM »
Capt Soto buying everybody food lately. Yogi gets a pizza and now Mr. Schaeffer gets lunch.

Great article, WO1 Wade and nice accompanying pictures, Capt Soto.
K. O'NEILL
CW2, USA
Retired

1LT (Ret) Hart

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 03:21:12 PM »
Fantastic, I'm bias but I don't care!
L. HART
1LT, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) Beard

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 03:45:44 AM »
I love that a Captain was politely referred to as a motor mouth. Cheeky bugger. Nice job with the article, great content and a real 'personal' feel to it.
D. BEARD
SSG, USA
Retired

B. Black

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »
A whole article just for you ehy Soto? How come you never bought me lunch :(

TSgt Powers

• 1Z371 Tactical Air Control Party
  • Combat Element
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 07:29:45 PM »