Author Topic: Advanced Movement climbing broke for me  (Read 2290 times)

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Advanced Movement climbing broke for me
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
A system crash a few weeks ago wiped all my keybinds etc. and I've been unable to get Advanced Movement climbing to work properly since then (it worked fine before). 

I understand how the setup works (Use Action X as the Climb command then your climb key(s) in Use Action X) but all I can do is climb the old-fashioned way (sling weapon on back before climbing & not able to climb over tall obstacles) which makes me susceptible to the climbing bug where you move really slowly after using climb.

I used to use Ctrl-V as the command and it worked fine - since this issue I've tried a variety of other keys and key combinations and nothing allows me to advanced climb.

I verified files and re-downloaded the latest ACE version just in case, but no luck fixing it.  Any suggestions?
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

1LT Littleberry

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
Re: Advanced Movement climbing broke for me
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
Your explanation of how you set it up is a bit confusing to me. (Use Action X as the Climb command then your climb key(s) in Use Action X)

All I did was go to Custom Controls, and map Ctrl-Space to Use Action 1. I was not aware you could determine which Action is the advanced climb.
J. LITTLEBERRY
1LT, IN
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »
You didn't set the Climb command to Use Action 1?  (Controls>Add-ons>ACE Movement>Climb)

I'll try removing that command from ACE Movement>Climb - I'll try anything at this point.
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
Bizarrely enough that seems to have worked?  Makes no sense to me tho - you're telling it to use Use Action 1 but not telling Use Action 1 what it's supposed to do.  How does Use Action 1 know what keypresses it's supposed to send?

Anyway, it's apparently fixed, thank you SPC Littleberry!
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

1LT Littleberry

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »
Yeah I've never assigned any specific functions to any of the actions in Custom Controls. With the exception of 2 functions in the RHS options that wouldn't work otherwise. Some of them are pre-set by default. Like if you assign a key to action 2, pressing that key will bring up a weird radial style menu where you can select between different weapons you're carrying. Action 1 is enhanced movement. Action 3 is a jump. I don't know about the rest of them because nothing apparent happens when I've tried them.

My guess is that whichever action you had set to be the climb in ACE options probably had another script attached to it, which then overrode the climb command you were trying to use.

Glad you got it fixed!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:58:07 PM by SPC Littleberry »
J. LITTLEBERRY
1LT, IN
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
I should quickly point out that ACE Climb is different to Enhanced Movement climb.

Somehow I ended up with both mapped to the same key combo and that broke many things.

You want to use Enhanced Movement not ACE - so Use Action 1 is what you want. I've entirely unmapped ACE Climb.
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired