Author Topic: Adding a Reconnaissance section to the unit  (Read 7892 times)

P Drake

Re: Adding a Reconnaissance section to the unit
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 03:46:16 PM »
If i may i'll contribute to erase a very common misconception about Brawler.

I was a Senior Corporal (Enlisted rank between your E4 and E5) for the PO Army/Cavalry, 4th Cavalry Regiment (Mecklenburgh) Recon Squadron. This is fact not a boast so that for the sake of argument what i'm about to contribute and hope to correct is based on actual hands on experience for 7 years of my 10 year military career. While the SOP for the US and my own country could be said to have diferences they are very small since i was a crewmen in a M60A3TTS and the organization and training is based on the US model, so, when i say that Brawler is NOT Cavalry but mechanized infantry i hope to correct that. (If the name didnt already gave that away...)

In several Armies Mechanized Infantry fullfill recon missions for themselfs or for a greater force so Brawler being used for it is not something of another world, a 11B can fullfill the mission of reconnaisance if needed in the real world. Is there mechanized/armor reconnaisance units? Yes, the US Cavalry even has a speciality called Cavalry Scout (19D) which i was crossed trained for in my own army due to the particularity of the Squadron i was a part of. What is the main goal of the Cavalry Scout? To put it in a very simplified way is to go where armor cannot and be the eyes and ears. And that mission is already fullfilled with extreme eficiency by Brawler 1-1 and 1-2.

Would i love to see a Cavalry section with M1A2's and Bradley's? I'm a Cavalrymen of course i would! I love what i did. But i was explained quite clearly when i joined what this unit is about and i agree 100%, Air Assault, when i joined i had no mistake of what was this unit's mission and for my part i will help fullfill that vision in anything i can, what has been built gamewise is fun and works very well to my honest opinion. Brawler is a top notch group of people who i have good fun and i would'nt trade this group for nothing right now.

But we cannot mistake Brawler for what it is, Mechanized Infantry. Our mission is very diferent from what a Cavalry unit would be asked to acomplish.

I hope this helped.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:53:39 PM by PV2 P. Drake »

Hopp

Re: Adding a Reconnaissance section to the unit
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
The 506th IR is roughly based on the 4th IBCT, 101st Airborne DIV.  Your BNs in the 506th consisted (past tense) of light infantry, field artillery, support, special troops, and cavalry.  There are no Mech Inf Companies in the 506th.  Now, don't get me wrong, there are lots of units in the US Army that fulfill a Mechanized Infantry role.  The 506th was not one of them.  They were light Cavalry who borrowed M2s (when required) because their MTOE is too small to operate as a light infantry BN without the increased firepower.  The 506th did not have wreckers, fuel haulers, and mechanics to support a true Mechanized role.  Armor and Mechanized Forces have super long support trains that trail behind them and keep them moving.  Light Infantry (or Air Assault) does not as they are air mobile.

In its current state, 506th operates as an Air mobile Task Force reinforced with a platoon of on-loan Bradleys reinforcing its light Cavalry.  This is the preferred play style.  And Brawler makes for good video!  I would not be surprised if Brawler were given some light HMMWVs mixed with TOW HMMWVs for a mission and watch the CH-47s ferry them in after the Infantry Air Assault has secured the LZ and reduced enemy in the area.  One of the greatest Air Assault fights is infiltrating and securing an Air Assault beachhead with no hope of overland reinforcement and letting the blood, sweat, and tears prove your mettle.

Anyways, my last $.02 for this beaten horse.