Author Topic: can it get any worse?!  (Read 6284 times)

SSG (Ret) Barton

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
can it get any worse?!
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
Man do I have bad luck right now! I joined the 506th and realized in recruit training that my pc was underpowered for arma, a game I've wanted to play for years!  Two weeks later, I built a beast of a machine and readied myself for battle. I got it running on  a mid-week rotation of OSUT, no big deal! But then, On the weekend before the new rotation of OSUT, I partially amputated three fingers on my dominant (left) hand. WTF!  Just in time for the apex roll over, which will have be on hold #NOINSURANCE.  On a good note (Maybe) I have no pain and haven't since day four after the surgery! I'm scheduled to get stitches out this Monday the 29th. I'm going to try to tape popsicle sticks to my bandages to see if I can be combat effective. Sorry to rant, but needed to vent. Keep their heads down! See you on the battle field soon!
J. BARTON
SSG, USA
Retired

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
Re: can it get any worse?!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »
It can always be worse my friend!

But i knew a guy from EVE who was paralyzed neck down, he was playing just fine :)
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

SSG (Ret) Barton

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
Your absolutely right!  My apologies for the title. The position I'm in now is temporary. I will adapt and overcome! 
J. BARTON
SSG, USA
Retired

J Allen

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »
Goddamn dude. Talk about bad luck lol. Does this mean you get a purple heart?

CW2 (Ret) O'Neill

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »
Well, this is a new one.
K. O'NEILL
CW2, USA
Retired

Gostrydr

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »
That sucks.

If you end up not being able to use that hand very well, you might want to look into stinkyboard. It's a 4 axis foot control.
http://stinkyboard.com/

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

S. Murphy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:15:15 AM »
Man do I have bad luck right now! I joined the 506th and realized in recruit training that my pc was underpowered for arma, a game I've wanted to play for years!  Two weeks later, I built a beast of a machine and readied myself for battle. I got it running on  a mid-week rotation of OSUT, no big deal! But then, On the weekend before the new rotation of OSUT, I partially amputated three fingers on my dominant (left) hand. WTF!  Just in time for the apex roll over, which will have be on hold #NOINSURANCE.  On a good note (Maybe) I have no pain and haven't since day four after the surgery! I'm scheduled to get stitches out this Monday the 29th. I'm going to try to tape popsicle sticks to my bandages to see if I can be combat effective. Sorry to rant, but needed to vent. Keep their heads down! See you on the battle field soon!

I am terribly sorry that this happened and it seems truly horrible however I can tell you emphatically Yes it could be and get worse.  Here is the positive.  You learned from an horrific circumstance.  You have a support system at home and here if you put into it.  These guys, your Brothers, will be here for you for the Rants, The Anger and the issues that you are going through IF you let them.  Through this post you have.  Maintain that positive and motivated attitude, hence the Popsicle sticks, Hell Yea Trooper thats the Fuckin ticket right there.  Creativity, Initiative!  Fuck Yea!  I am very sorry that this happened but stay focused on your healing, coping and using this as a means to get you past this!  I wish you a speedy recovery and hope fot the best for you and yours.  Stay Strong, Stay Tough, Drive On and as Always, Young Trooper.... 

All The Way!!!! 

SPC (Ret) Roche

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
You'll recover and be in the field soon enough, i'm sure of it. Hooah.  8)
M. ROCHE
SPC, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) Barton

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 05:27:58 PM »
thanks for all the support! the popsicle stick didn't work. It keeps my hand off the keyboard and my wrist at a terrible angle to use long term. The foot controls sound awesome! I'll be checking that out for sure!!  Again, thanks for being there!
J. BARTON
SSG, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) Barton

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:39:44 PM »
Dude, that Stinkyboard is AWESOME!!! I'm gonna have to get one (or two.) Even if I'm able to regain all the function of my hand. Think of the possibilities!
J. BARTON
SSG, USA
Retired

S. Murphy

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:19:11 PM »
OUTFUCKINSTANDING!!

All The Way!!

1LT (Ret) Garcia

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
    • Personnel File - Garcia, A.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
I've had very good success teaching my non-dominant hand to do things like writing, and doing things like shooting offhanded. It isn't that difficult, it just takes patience and above all, persistence. As a bonus most of the world is right handed so you'll find it much easier to buy all sorts of things. Good luck and work hard, you'll get through it.
A. GARCIA
1LT, USA
Retired

S. Murphy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 11:39:08 PM »
I've had very good success teaching my non-dominant hand to do things like writing, and doing things like shooting offhanded. It isn't that difficult, it just takes patience and above all, persistence. As a bonus most of the world is right handed so you'll find it much easier to buy all sorts of things. Good luck and work hard, you'll get through it.

That is Outstanding Garcia!  It's things like this that are inspiring, motivating and can show that you cannot coach Heart!  One of the things I learned in my coaching days.  Thanks for Sharing and Keeping this Alive! 

Y'all keep up the good work and I hope to see y'all on the Field Soon!

All The Way!

SSG (Ret) Barton

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »
Stitches out! using a splint on the tips of the fingers I lost even as I type this. Downloading Apex now. I'll be alongside you soon!!!
J. BARTON
SSG, USA
Retired

1LT (Ret) Garcia

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
    • Personnel File - Garcia, A.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
Good to hear!
A. GARCIA
1LT, USA