Author Topic: Question about missions and mods  (Read 5137 times)

J. Carter

Question about missions and mods
« on: January 02, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »
Hey folks,

I just joined the 506th and am eagerly awaiting my training.  I have loaded all the mods and am ready to go but have a couple of questions about some missions I had created prior to joining.  Since I have loaded the 506th mods I am unable to open my old missions in the editor.  There are dependencies they need to open, specifically ACE3-Goggles and several of the CUP mods.  I can load up the CUP mods with no issue, the problem stems from the fact that I used a different version of ACE than you folks use. 

Is there any way to bypass a mod when opening up a mission for editing?  I'd like to get in and remove that ACE dependency or update it to the version you guys use.  I cannot even load the missions at this point due to having a mismatched version of ACE.  I have a total of seven missions that I created and have not even had a chance to play yet, it would be a nightmare to have to remake them all.

I tried reinstalling the old version of ACE (through the Steam workshop- that's how I had all my old mods loaded) but when I do this it removes the version that you guys use.  Any suggestions as to what I can do?  Thanks!

RCT J. Carter

CW2 (Ret) O'Neill

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
Re: Question about missions and mods
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
The only thing I could recommend would be to leave alone all the 506th mods, download additional mods from a source other than the Workshop, and rename those files so they appear to be separate mods when loaded into your Arma 3 Launcher. I personally have 3 versions of CBA, 4 versions of ACE3, and 2 versions of CUP loaded on my computer all together. None come from the Workshop though because when you load one from the Workshop, they usually delete similar files from the Arma 3 directory.
K. O'NEILL
CW2, USA
Retired

J. Carter

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »
Sgt O'Neill,

That worked brilliantly, thanks much for that.  Now I need to go into each mission and delete all the items from the other mods, which seems to include just about all of the players, opfor and vehicles that I added :P 

This should be fun (and time consuming)!

SGT Stewart

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »
Create mod presets. Select 'Mods' from the ARMA dashboard, clear all loaded mods, load the 506 mods and in the upper right hand corner create a new 'preset' with the name of your choice. Unload the mods again, load your custom set for missions other than 506 and create another preset. clear the list and load the preset depending if you are doing 506 stuff or not.

Also if you are editing missions in Eden, the save path for missions is different for each user profile you have, If you have a 506 profile,the missions folder, under the default Documents or whereever you have it may be wrong, so be sure to load the right profile for whatever you are doing.

If you are just connecting to a server ( other than 506) and it complains about mods or it punts you completly; in the ARMA dashboard, select 'servers' , select the server that punted you and select the option to load any missing mods, specific to that server.
R. STEWART
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

J. Carter

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
Thanks PV2 Stewart, good stuff!  I wasn't aware that you could load missing mods when connecting to a server!

SGT Madsen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
Thanks PV2 Stewart, good stuff!  I wasn't aware that you could load missing mods when connecting to a server!

You cant. Not necesarily. You can if it is common mods that are on the workshop. but IE some of our versions and mods are not on the workshop so you will draw a blank on that.

That feature is much more aimed at Arma Life and Breaking point servers and such.

Plus. never use Workshop mods for our mods/servers as it is guranteed to give problems one day :)
M. MADSEN
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

J. Carter

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
Plus. never use Workshop mods for our mods/servers as it is guranteed to give problems one day :)

Really good to know!

J. Carter

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
I have another quick question!  I'm converting over a bunch of missions to work with the 506th mods and I was wondering what you guys set the AI Levels for Skill and Precision at?  I'm looking for a challenge to the players but nothing to crazy as I expect most of the players team will be filled out with AI guys and not real players.  Thanks!

Treyum

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »
Every Zeus video I've ever watched, Ares generally cranks the AI to full skill level. I'd talk to the members of the Ares Detachment (S3), but I think it's always full skill level.