Author Topic: Airborne School  (Read 11192 times)

kingtiger

Airborne School
« on: December 23, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
i was wonduring if you guys started airborne school or when the unit will start

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
Re: Airborne School
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
What exactly would be the purpose or benefit of it for our needs?
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired

kingtiger

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:43:22 PM »
well aren't you guys a airborne Regiment from the 101st?

C. Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
The 506 IR was redesignated as Air Assault after WW2 if i recall,  however they are still apart of the 101st
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:52:01 PM by 2LT Smith »

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
Air Assault not air borne

Right. While what I am about to say sounds ridiculous, the 101st Airborne Division is not an airborne division anymore. They are an air assault division (attack from helicopters).

8)
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired

Coffman

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

The Current military has kind of moved away from dropping people out of C-130's. Its very impractical, people can get separated, shot at, parachute failures, landing in tress, landing in the wrong area and getting all together lost. Yes it is in rare cases still done, but for the most part we are an Air Assault unit and training with the blackhawks is usually done at a platoon level. Mass dropping out of C-130s or C-17s would be a big waste of resources unless you were doing a large scale invasion ie: WW2. Were also trying to represent current military operations not re-living the movie Band of Brothers.

kingtiger

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »
Air Assault not air borne

Right. While what I am about to say sounds ridiculous, the 101st Airborne Division is not an airborne division anymore. They are an air assault division (attack from helicopters).

8)
did not know that well did u guys start air assault school

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
soontm
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired

Metzger

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »

The Current military has kind of moved away from dropping people out of C-130's. Its very impractical, people can get separated, shot at, parachute failures, landing in tress, landing in the wrong area and getting all together lost. Yes it is in rare cases still done, but for the most part we are an Air Assault unit and training with the blackhawks is usually done at a platoon level. Mass dropping out of C-130s or C-17s would be a big waste of resources unless you were doing a large scale invasion ie: WW2. Were also trying to represent current military operations not re-living the movie Band of Brothers.

You forget about the 82nd Airborne Division, the last true "airborne" division in the US Army. ~20,000 troops on jump status, with ~4,000 ready to deploy anywhere in the world via mass tactical parachute operations in 18 hours. 13 jumps in I can tell you that to us, it's not rare at all, it's an essential job function. Compared to the entire US Army, yes it's rare.

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »

You forget about the 82nd Airborne Division, the last true "airborne" division in the US Army. ~20,000 troops on jump status, with ~4,000 ready to deploy anywhere in the world via mass tactical parachute operations in 18 hours. 13 jumps in I can tell you that to us, it's not rare at all, it's an essential job function. Compared to the entire US Army, yes it's rare.

While the 82nd and 173rd are airborne units (and the rangers I guess), and they do train for it regularly. It still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a waste of resources and very impractical. The last real (mass) combat jump was Panama. Not saying it wont happen, its just very impractical now a-days.

Before this gets into a pissing contest: I'm out
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:24:12 PM by SSgt Nagel »
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired

Lindsey

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
The 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division is also Airborne. It is the only Airborne Element in the Pacific Theater.

Metzger

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »

While the 82nd and 173rd are airborne units (and the rangers I guess), and they do train for it regularly. It still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a waste of resources and very impractical. The last real (mass) combat jump was Panama. Not saying it wont happen, its just very impractical now a-days.

Before this gets into a pissing contest: I'm out

Lol we're in agreeance on Panama. That airfield in Iraq was already controlled by NATO forces. My point here is that it might seem impractical, but it shouldn't be ruled out as a tactical or strategic option and is still the primary mission of an entire division in the Army.

As for that last bit, we're adults, let's save the virtual bullets for the virtual bad guys ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:25:06 PM by Mallea »

Oscar_Geare

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 11:11:25 PM »
While it might have been the last combat jump for the US Military, of note is the French Foreign Legion and Pakistan who have done combat jumps in the last 5 years. The Pakistani's have actually done it twice, in early 2009 during Operation Black Thunderstorm and then later that year for Rad Nijat or something?

Last year the French captured Timbuktu through the use of Paratroopers.

In 89 the Indians used paratroopers in a preemptive strike against Pakistan.

The Rhodesians used paratroopers regularly in their Counter-Insurgency operations (but this was back in the 60s/70s). Look up the Rhodesian Firestorm tactics It's an interesting read if any of you care. Basically they would get reports of insurgent activity, their helicopter forces that were in the air would move to that location, drop their troops and suppress with gunships, then a platoon of paratroopers would come in. They would sometimes be doing ~3 drops a week.

Westfield

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:15:27 PM »
Just gonna say that part of the 173rd jumped into Northern Iraq in '03. It was something like 950/2100 that jumped or something like that if I remember correctly.

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:59 PM »
Just gonna say that part of the 173rd jumped into Northern Iraq in '03. It was something like 950/2100 that jumped or something like that if I remember correctly.

Yes, but than they moved into the friendly FOB that was right next to the DZ. It was just for show to keep the Iraqi army looking North.
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired