Author Topic: A Few Questions About the 506th IR  (Read 2648 times)

SGT Arch

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
A Few Questions About the 506th IR
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:10:21 AM »
Hello there, my name is Arch.  I have been considering joining the 506th IR, but I would like to ask a few questions before I do if you wouldn't mind indulging me.

First, what days and times are the unit's events?  I know the official timezone of the 506th is EDT, which is also the timezone I live in.

Second, what is, if any, your threshold for mandatory attendance?  I know from experience that most units have them.  In the unit I was in before, I was one of the five Officers responsible for running all aspects of the group, and we had a policy where we expected all members to attend at least one main operation per month, and if they could not make it for whatever reason then they were required to submit a Leave of Absence.  How does the 506th handle attendance and/or required or mandatory events?  I am currently studying Criminal Justice and I have a part-time security job that can sometimes be unreliable as far as scheduling, this is simply why I would like to know how flexible you guys might be with attendance.

I have read up on the way the 506th go about approaching MOS's and unit roles.  Do you give members any kind of freedom to choose weapons/gear or is it all pre-assigned?  In my previous unit, for about half of our missions, everyone would slot into the server and would have to use the pre-made loadouts that corresponded to the role they selected during the slot-in process.  For the other half of our missions, we made use of a standardized loadout system where everyone was required to wear the same exact uniform for IFF purposes, but had freedom to tailor most other things to their specifications.  For example, all riflemen were allowed to use any NATO 5.56 weapon as long as it used the vanilla 5.56 rounds, that way we could swap mags during combat as necessary, and riflemen were allowed to choose any optic as long as it had no thermal or NVG setting and was less than 4x magnification.  We had similar rules for all roles.  I know that under the 506th system, members are assigned an MOS and stick to it, but I was just curious if there was any freedom in tailoring the smaller details of one's equipment, like a rifleman being able to choose an EOTech over an ACOG or anything like that.

I really appreciate your time and I would be very grateful for any insights you could give me, thank you very much!

-Arch
D. ARCH
SGT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SSG Salvatore

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
Re: A Few Questions About the 506th IR
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:20 AM »
This will help you with your questions: General Procedure Manual of the 506th IR Realism Unit.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:26:59 AM by 1SG J. Brewer »
G. SALVATORE
SSG, USA

1SG J. Brewer

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 05:35:36 AM »
PFC Salvatore our General Procedure Manual isn't in a non public forum so that you can post it publicly.

To answer your questions Arch.

Unit event times depend upon where you're billeted. Each infantry squad is required to do one squad training per week. Different squads train on different day. Each platoon is required to do one platoon training per month. And each task force has an operation every other week. In short, for infantry personnel there is 7 event required per month in which members must maintain more than 50% attendance. If they don't they will be administratively moved to reserves.

As for gear. Each and every role within the unit has a standard loadout with realistic gear and kit. We are a realism unit, portraying a real life U.S. Army unit and use the gear that they would use. In short, you will see no special snowflakes with suppressors in official unit operations. That is saved for "fun ops".

Should you have any other questions, you're welcome to contact one of our recruiting staff, listed in our recruiting section. I would recommend contacting them and speaking in TeamSpeak.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:37:17 AM by 1SG J. Brewer »
J. BREWER
1SG, USA
First Sergeant, Co A\1-506 Infantry

SSG Salvatore

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:29:49 AM »
My apologies for that mistake 1SG J. Brewer, I didn't had my thoughts straight on that moment when I provided that kind of information.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:35:33 AM by PFC Salvatore »
G. SALVATORE
SSG, USA

1LT (Ret) Garcia

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
    • Personnel File - Garcia, A.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »
Arch,

I'm one of our recruiters. Feel free to pm me here or find me on Teamspeak and I'll be happy to answer any further questions.

Regards,
SGT Garcia
A. GARCIA
1LT, USA
Retired