Author Topic: Arma 3 in Windows 10  (Read 6651 times)

Hummel

Arma 3 in Windows 10
« on: July 26, 2015, 02:56:23 AM »
Do we have any preliminary information about Arma3's performance in Windows 10? After the catastrophic failure of my graphics card, I am trying to squeeze back every possible frame I can get, so I can start replaying the game without dropping to less than fifteen in busy scenes (missions). Windows 10 is my last hope before the inevitable reinvestment to a better graphics card. Has anyone done the tests?

(sorry if this has been posted/asked in the past, I did a search before starting this thread but did not come up on anything...)

Hopp

Re: Arma 3 in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 04:42:45 AM »
I follow Windows 10 pretty closely.  It's based on the Windows 8 kernel, as it's an incremental revision, however, there are changes and new drivers are coming out.  Your mileage may vary based on your system specs and the release of drivers specific to your system components.

Incompatible drivers may hurt system performance.  I don't think much more can be said until it comes out and we give it a go.  Some people who have Windows 10 RC say Arma 3 works fine/same as Windows 8.1 or even better.  I don't think you'll notice any change in actual game-play however as the OS usually does not drastically improve or decrease game-play performance, in contrast to hardware changes.

Lumar

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:06:03 PM »
Do we have any preliminary information about Arma3's performance in Windows 10? After the catastrophic failure of my graphics card, I am trying to squeeze back every possible frame I can get, so I can start replaying the game without dropping to less than fifteen in busy scenes (missions). Windows 10 is my last hope before the inevitable reinvestment to a better graphics card. Has anyone done the tests?

(sorry if this has been posted/asked in the past, I did a search before starting this thread but did not come up on anything...)
Hey man I just upgraded to windows 10, it seems to do alot better with the idle processes than windows 7 or 8. This is the forum post I posted to get help optimizing my settings
http://www.506thir.net/forums/index.php?topic=6845.0
It helped me to use the day0 site to get the best optimization. Also if you go to windows 10 do a clean install not an upgrade. Because otherwise it just writes over your old os an you could experience problems.

Lumar

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »

Hopp

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:29:43 PM »

PFC Hummel,
I realize this is purely anecdotal, because it's hard to compare raw numbers against each other when it comes to issues with Arma 3.  But I wanted to tell you that after installing Windows 10, I have had no problems with crashes.  This is weird, because using Windows 8.1, I would occasionally experience a crash in Arma 3, and had been experiencing more of them, ever since we went to update version 1.48.  Even using vanilla arma on KOTH and Wasteland servers.

I don't experience those game-stopping crashes anymore.  I am not sure if it's the 1.48 HOTFIX that BI put out, or if in my estimation, the OS is itself more stable than 8.1.  Honestly, I think Windows in its latest version is the hands-down best and smoothest feeling OS I have ever used.  It's not as rock-solid stable as a community-managed Linux build, but it's definitely the most solid Windows build, ever, in my opinion.

To sum it up, give it a whir.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

SPC (Ret) T. Lee

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 01:04:23 PM »
Hi Guys

From the info i've gathered it is smoother, as far a performance gains go testing with a multitude of GPUs there seems to be not much if any gain.
They all agree that DX12 games will tell the tale as they become available in the future.

SPC Lee 16th IR
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:39:23 PM by T. Lee »
T. LEE
SPC, USA
Retired

Hummel

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »
I have had no issues playtesting so far, thanks for your info as well. Can't wait to try it in a live training or mission.

SPC Z. Miller

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »
Didn't BI recommend not updating? I know my CoC said to hold off.  Just curious as you guys are obviously more savvy than I on tech.
Z. MILLER
SPC, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

McGuire

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
BI did suggest waiting, but really it depends more so on the hardware and drivers of your PC. Steam and Arma 3 should be fine.

IMO - hold off if you're hesitant. The gains you get from Win10 are not enough currently to warrant risking your primary gaming rig, again imo.

SPC Maines

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
BI did suggest waiting, but really it depends more so on the hardware and drivers of your PC. Steam and Arma 3 should be fine.

IMO - hold off if you're hesitant. The gains you get from Win10 are not enough currently to warrant risking your primary gaming rig, again imo.

This and WIN10 is free for a YEAR from the 29th. BI Will be updated to the point of better performance with the OS by then
Z. MAINES
SPC, USA

Hummel

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 03:14:06 AM »
Some interesting information, especially if you have been running older Windows 7.

"Those players eager to upgrade to Microsoft's latest and greatest OS can, for the most part, jump in without worry. Nvidia and AMD's Windows 10 drivers seem to be doing the trick, with no real performance difference compared to the older OS. Suffice it to say, if you're still rocking Windows 7—which is generally anywhere from 5 to 20 percent slower than Windows 8 and 10—it is probably time to finally make the jump."

McGuire

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »
Very true PFC!

I think my caution would specifically be for using Arma 3. As for upgrading the OS, not in relation to gaming, you shouldn't see many issues and the OS like you showed should be "faster".

I think waiting a few months and for BI to release a patch or two would not be a bad idea for those hesitant to tinker with their rig :)

SFC Heckman

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »
Very true PFC!

I think my caution would specifically be for using Arma 3. As for upgrading the OS, not in relation to gaming, you shouldn't see many issues and the OS like you showed should be "faster".

I think waiting a few months and for BI to release a patch or two would not be a bad idea for those hesitant to tinker with their rig :)

I'm not really sure what the big deal is. ARMA is the most finicky game that has ever been crafted. You can be going along perfectly and BAM!!! your stuff is broke. The OS is literally the LEAST of Arma's technical issues.  I have a handful of people in my platoon that couldn't even get into the server last night. Worry more about Steam and it's magic ticket checks. It's just an upgrade after all. There is no caution to be had. We are all on borrowed time with Arma... it will get us all at some point... it will get us all!!! 
M. HECKMAN
SFC, USA

McGuire

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 04:24:32 PM »
Bahahaha SFC, that is all too true!!

I try talking sweet nothings to my PC when booting up Arma in hopes that it doesn't choose to fubar everything!  ;D