Author Topic: Euro Friendly Squad Practice and FTX Times?  (Read 4331 times)

E Olsen

Euro Friendly Squad Practice and FTX Times?
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
A quick scan of this forums reveals that you run weekly, and mandatory, squad practices. I've recently returned to the UK and so I wonder if you have Euro friendly sections?

I presume your FTX are all EDT? Any ops starting early EDT?

Thanks

WO1 Muller

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Aviation Element
Re: Euro Friendly Squad Practice and FTX Times?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:25:59 AM »
That's a negative. All operations begin at 2000 EST and most (or at least a lot of) squad trainings begin around the same time. There are a few exceptions where a squad has their trainings on a sunday at 1530EST (or whatever) which would be 2030 for you folks across the pond. You'll have to hop on the teamspeak and take a look at the individual squads to find a time that suits yourself.

Edit: It looks like there are quite a few squads that have their trainings around 1500-1600 or similar, which would be doable for you.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:28:17 AM by SGT Muller »
M. MULLER
WO1, AV
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

E Olsen

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »
All understood. I will pay your TS a visit and make enquiries there.

As I get older, I find I can't sleep worth a damn and I am usually up at 0200 UTC anyway!

WO1 Muller

• Aviation Element
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
Yep, take a gander around the different squad's channel descriptions to find their training times. If you are already up at 0200 then you'll fit right in. I lived in Iceland for a few months and I'll be honest, being up at 2am to attend ops and trainings was a pain but at least it isn't every single night haha.
M. MULLER
WO1, AV

SSG Salvatore

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
Official Operations/FTX's are on Saturday's and Sundays and start on @2000 EST = 0100 UK timezone
Most Squads have Squad trainings on Sunday's @1530-1600-1700 & 1900EST = 1930-2100-2200 & 0000 UK timezone

G. SALVATORE
SSG, USA

1LT Littleberry

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 12:57:33 PM »
Like already said a lot of squads have their trainings at europe friendly times. But on op nights you should be prepared to not get to go to sleep until around 0500.
J. LITTLEBERRY
1LT, IN

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
I have a calendar page which outlines all the training times as well as being able to view those times directly in your local TZ: http://owenhardman.id.au/506/calendar.php
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired

E Olsen

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
Sergeant Hardman, thank you for the calendar which is very useful. I think I can work with this. Appreciated.

Also thanks to all in this thread for their valuable suggestions.

FTX's will be a challenge, but not insurmountable. I could, perhaps, join Delta CO because then I can insert you guys at the DZ, catch four hours sleep and then pick you up at ENDEX.  ;D

However, I would much prefer to be 11B/door-kicker so I guess I will have to plan my day around the FTX.

WO1 Muller

• Aviation Element
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »
If there's a will there's a way.
M. MULLER
WO1, AV

E Olsen

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 10:37:11 AM »
If there's a will there's a way.

Indeed there is Sergeant!

And before I get a torrent of abuse from Delta, I was 153A for a year or so in my previous IR unit and enjoyed it enormously. I'm also a pilot (fix wing) IRL obtaining my wings at KAPF in 2002. But as I get older I've developed a desire for door-kicking. Perhaps because in real life the door is likely to win and a large osteopath bill ensues.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:46:52 AM by E Olsen »

1LT (Ret) Myers

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
Working in the UK time zone isn't that hard, I would recommend Havoc 3 as they do their operations on Saturday Night / Sunday mornings and a few of the squads in the platoon do training prior to the operation (Around 6-7pm GMT), if you don't work on Sundays its not a problem going to bed at 3-4am.

We still have some Brits in Sunday Platoons (myself included), it's not that bad especially being in University where I have no lectures on Monday anyway. The unit operates in EST time, so be prepared to set alarms on your phone if you need to go to something, I made an EST clock on my desktop that helps:

If you end up joining and want my code for the clock let me know. (anyone is welcome to have it anyway)

We could do with more Brits so don't let the timezone throw you off.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:36:26 AM by SFC Myers »
S. MYERS
1LT, USA
Retired

SSG Salvatore

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »
FTX's will be a challenge, but not insurmountable. I could, perhaps, join Delta CO because then I can insert you guys at the DZ, catch four hours sleep and then pick you up at ENDEX.  ;D

Sleeping during an FTX? Don't think that's in our SOP neither will your Section leader be happy about that as well as Company HQ..
G. SALVATORE
SSG, USA

E Olsen

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
Working in the UK time zone isn't that hard, I would recommend Havoc 3 as they do their operations on Saturday Night / Sunday mornings and a few of the squads in the platoon do training prior to the operation (Around 6-7pm GMT), if you don't work on Sundays its not a problem going to bed at 3-4am.

Thank you Sergeant - thats a good pointer.

E Olsen

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 01:01:37 PM »

Sleeping during an FTX? Don't think that's in our SOP neither will your Section leader be happy about that as well as Company HQ..

Damn! I said that out loud - didn't I?

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »

Damn! I said that out loud - didn't I?

You did.

A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV