Author Topic: Open for Discussion  (Read 61782 times)

O'Dette

Re: Open for Discussion
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
I'm curious: If it was feasible, would you make a Ft. Bennings map for BCT/AIT (I don't know if any AIT is at Bennings) and an NTC map for FTXs prior to deployment?

I was thinking about that this morning, and I thought it'd be cool if you guys could have one of those to run through rather than have to make a base out of a terrain like Chernarus or Altis or whatnot.

Yordy

« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
I'm curious: If it was feasible, would you make a Ft. Bennings map for BCT/AIT (I don't know if any AIT is at Bennings) and an NTC map for FTXs prior to deployment?

I was thinking about that this morning, and I thought it'd be cool if you guys could have one of those to run through rather than have to make a base out of a terrain like Chernarus or Altis or whatnot.
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15038 haven't test with AIA tp yet

O'Dette

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
That is an awesome find, Yordy.

If we can port it over to ArmA III, I think everyone will benefit.

Caine

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

For my thoughts on doing something like NTC...
The purpose of NTC or JRTC for the Army is to get that quality assurance stamp before a unit deploys to a designated area of responsibility. This rooted from when President jFK wanted options to deploy a unit during the Cold War and found that no one was really ready. So by having these training centers the Army can certify that a unit is prepared to deploy for the U.S.
So with that wee background I agree that Fort Irwin is an awesome training ground for maneuvers. But I think the idea of an Arma unit doing a "rotation" to NTC plus all the weekly trainings they do would be over kill before "deploying" or conducting an FTX.
But then again, I'm a recruit lol

Simmering

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
I personally don't see a reason why we can't keep doing what we are doing. One of the major reasons I came over here was to keep things simple and not add all this extra junk.

O'Dette

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2014, 03:13:17 PM »
Maybe I'm just a realism freak. It'd not be that hard; you'd only need Ft. Bennings for BCT/AIT, and you'd only need the NTC for FTXs.

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Logistically, there is no value. While it might not be much, its just an extra needless hassle with different maps that people need to download, and different missions on different maps to keep updated.

Also, if you have been to Ft Benning or Ft Irwin in real life you would never want to go there again, even in a video game =P.
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired

SSG (Ret) Spinner

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 08:03:09 PM »
Logistically, there is no value. While it might not be much, its just an extra needless hassle with different maps that people need to download, and different missions on different maps to keep updated.

THIS

Also, if you have been to Ft Benning or Ft Irwin in real life you would never want to go there again, even in a video game =P.
J. SPINNER
SSG, USA
Retired

Westfield

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
10/10 would never want to visit sand hill again.

By the way O'Dette NTC isn't the main facility anymore they use JRTC. I've been to Ft. Polk and fuck all of that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:55:10 PM by CW2 Westfield »

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2014, 02:44:51 AM »
10/10 would never want to visit sand hill again.

By the way O'Dette NTC isn't the main facility anymore they use JRTC. I've been to Ft. Polk and fuck all of that.

Its unfortunate that most Army bases are literally built in some of the worst places ever.
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired

KimberFortyFive

• 15th MEU (SOC) Realism Unit
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »
Hey! I'm from Leesville, La. Literately just outside Ft. Polk and you guys talking down about it are... right.
Sgt T. GRAFF
Recon Man
3rd Platoon, Force Reconnaissance Company
15th MEU (SOC) Realism Unit

O'Dette

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2014, 11:56:11 PM »
Out of curiosity, what does the "RU" stand for in the News Room sub-forum?

By the way, 04 JAN is my birthday.

MSG De Vries

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Combat Element
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »
Out of curiosity, what does the "RU" stand for in the News Room sub-forum?

By the way, 04 JAN is my birthday.

I believe it stands for "Realism Unit."
L. DE VRIES
MSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

1LT (Ret) Aston

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
I've used that map back in Arma 2 to conduct trainings, and I cannot help but feel that as much as it is very good for teaching tactical theory, it simply lacks the terrain complexity that we come across in FTX's and operations. This is why I would always prefer to used a map like Stratis, as it has terrain and areas that are similar to those we encounter on weekends.
J. ASTON
1LT, USA
Retired

Kovac

« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
Question about Saturday ops. Since applications are closed again, will there be saturday "platoon" up when they are reopened? And what will the times be?

Really can't wait for that to happen.