Author Topic: FNG question  (Read 4197 times)

K. Santos

FNG question
« on: March 26, 2015, 12:12:08 AM »
G'morning Sir, Ma'am, and or Sergeant!
New guy here. Saw some of the videos on YouTube and am enthralled. Building my PC now specifically to join the party here.

I saw the combined unit break down and was curious if there were plans in the future for in unit artillery support? I was a 13M Multiple Launch Rocket Systems crew member in Active Duty and deployed to OIF III, from there I became a 13F with a mountain infantry unit. Love to carry on the arty tradition but am just as happy rucking up and playing infantry as well once I get online.

Regards,
SSG K. Santos
Fire Support NCO
C CO, 1/102nd INF (MTN)

Alexandrov

Re: FNG question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:31:51 AM »
believe it or not i do believe this unit is infantry based and likes the core of infantry more than artillery in my old unit i was in artillery support too but in my old unit it was shut down by command i don't know why but we didn't have many numbers we had a total of 6 guns, 3 man per gun but we only had crew for 4 guns but then again as i was leaving their number increased but any ways to answer to question i don't think this unit is going to invest in opening up a artillery support section any time soon.

i hope this answered your question and i hope you join the unit and have fun from a artillery support guy to another welcome to the unit

who know we may even get together and harass battalion command about opening up an artillery support section ;) jks jks

Montana

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:14:08 AM »
Alexander, you need to add a period or two into your rants lol.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 05:37:31 AM »
plans in the future for in unit artillery support?

I think the closest the 506th is going to get to standoff artillery is Brawler (mechanized platoon/Bradleys). The main complaint I've heard is that support units in ARMA tend to trivialize the efforts of the infantry, and infantry gameplay is what this unit is about, thus no armored units and minimal airborne fire support to operations. Another important factor is that indirect fire is... unreliable at best in ARMA. Mortars and artillery tend to behave in very unpredictable ways, which doesn't lend itself well to reliable and consistent fire support.

However, Brawler is a ton of fun. You can definitely see our impact in the combined arms environment, and our squad/section/platoon training exercises are an absolute blast.

Hope to hear from you when you get your PC put together.

Alexandrov

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »
Alexander, you need to add a period or two into your rants lol.

I am sorry I get too carried away

K. Santos

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »
Gotcha! I wasn't sure if, given the role of JTACs, there might be a possibility for an FO element too. I haven't had hands on time with the artillery in game yet but I can definitely appreciate leaning more towards the focus on the boots on the ground (or in the air). Regardless, looking forward to toeing the line with you boys soon.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:31:02 PM by SSG K Santos »