Author Topic: help,keep getting anti surge messages (RESOLVED)  (Read 4864 times)

SGT (Ret) Ashes

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
help,keep getting anti surge messages (RESOLVED)
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »
hi all

mkay so iv had my rig for nearly 3 years now, and have never had any problems with it. recently iv been getting anti surge messages whenever i turn on a game, and the system shuts down and reboots to my bios. im not a wizard with voltages and that so i took a picture of my readings.can anyone tell me if the readings are off, as in is it my PSU acting dodgey or is it the hole "asus anti surge problem where it kicks in for no reason"

the 12V does fluctuate from 11.4..to 11.5/7/8 when idol

my specs are:

A10 5800k
8gb
sapphire HD 7870 dual x
corsair 600w
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:54:57 PM by CPL Ashes »
D. ASHES
SGT, USA
Retired

SPC (Ret) Harrison

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Re: help,keep getting anti surge messages
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »
For future reference, you don't need to be a wizard to read this. Generally, with most computer parts you're looking at a variance of about +-.5 V, so your readings are pretty much fine. I don't know much about surge protection in terms of brand-to-brand issues, but if you know that there is a common issue with ASUS, then that may be something worth looking into.
N. HARRISON
SPC, USA
Retired

R. F. Nelson

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:05:16 PM »
The ASUS anti-surge feature activates when it notices fluctuations in the PSU voltage that are outside the norm. There are several hardware/physical related issues that could be contributing to this.

1.) Your PSU may be one foot in the grave, and is unable to regulate the voltage, which is tripping the anti-surge.

2.) You've added new hardware, which requires more total voltage/wattage than the PSU is able to supply properly, so the fluctuations are tripping the anti-surge.

3.) The physical wall socket (or surge protector/power strip/whatever you have, if you have anything) has gone bad, likely due to a power surge, or old/faulty wiring, and is in turn, sending a fluctuation of power into the PSU, which in turn into the computer, tripping the anti-surge.

These are the more common issues that would trigger an anti-surge "crash". Has anything physical (hardware) been added/changed with your PC in relation to the issues?

SGT (Ret) Ashes

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:20:34 PM »
thanks for the reply lads

k the PSU is about 3 years old..never had a problem with it..is there a way to check if that is faulty etc? ".the wiring in the room/socket has been replaced about 5 months ago,my dad is an electrician so that aint it.also i do use a surge protector .as for hardware..i recently added an avid USB interface to run my studio monitors off..that was at xmas.but only yesterday i started getting these messages

little update: iv kept m eye on the 12V ..and its been dropping to 11.1 11.2 ..is this a sure enough sign to tell me my psu is acting fucky ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:09:49 PM by CPL Ashes »
D. ASHES
SGT, USA
Retired

R. F. Nelson

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »
PSU testers are pretty cheap. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647108&CatId=5471

However, all these kinds will really tell you is it the PSU is supplying enough power to register working. Still, it may offer you solution to your question. Another alternative is to find a repair shop in your area, which typically has more in depth diagnostic tools, and if they're well priced, will be cheaper than buying the tools themselves.

All that said, does your system run normally, stably, when doing other things: Youtube, Netflix, and so forth? Is it only when firing up a video game that the anti-surge pops up?

1LT (Ret) O'Keefe

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
When I've suspected a problem with my PSU, I've found a place that sells PSUs and has an unboxed return policy. Buy the PSU, try it out, if it solves the problem, awesome. If it doesn't, you can just return it for a refund, so it's no loss.
C. O'KEEFE
1LT, USA
Retired

SGT (Ret) Ashes

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »
Iv gone ahead and bought a new psu.hopefully it will be here mid week.and nelson yeah its ok out of games.youtube facebook etc its only when i load up a game.a friend said it could also be my ram.anyway to check that
D. ASHES
SGT, USA
Retired