Author Topic: Arma - Computer Lockup - Crash  (Read 7240 times)

A. Davis

Arma - Computer Lockup - Crash
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:14 PM »
Hello all,

I have been looking through the threads and have not seen anything like this and I cannot figure it out.  It seems that my game is locking up my computer after an hour of Arma being up and running.  It only seems to effect the computer when I am in a multiplayer server.  If I just leave arma running in the background it will never crash.  Over the last several weeks I have had crashes in team trainings, squad trainings and official operations.  If anyone has any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or fix it all together I would appreciate some help.

SGT (Ret) Ashes

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Re: Arma - Computer Lockup - Crash
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »
Hey Davis

is this the error your seeing?

Exit code: 0x000000FF / 255
Reason:unknown
Time running: ~ 00:0520.2 seconds

The game was started with the following parameters:
D. ASHES
SGT, USA
Retired

A. Davis

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »
Hey there Ashes,

Actually I am not getting any error's at all.  My computer locks up and I have to shut it down and restart everything.  I can still hear everyone in TS.  That is my issue is there are no messages or warnings just a frozen screen and lots of 4 letter words.

Korian

• Twitch Chan
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
Did you check your crash dump files etc? %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Arma 3

Locate the arma3.rpt, arma3.bidmp and arma3.mdmp files and upload them here.

A. Davis

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
I saw this in another thread and looked up the files but they do not have any of the data noted in the other post.  Below is an example of my last crash rpt.

=====================================================================
== E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe
== "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "-mod=E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@506th;E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@ACE;E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@AllInArmaTerrainPack;E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@CBA_A3;E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@RHSAFRF;E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@RHSUSF;E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@STHUD;E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@task_force_radio" -nosplash -world=empty -noPause -skipIntro -noLogs -maxMem=2048 -maxVRAM=1024 -cpuCount=4 -ExThreads=Auto

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_DX11
Exe timestamp: 2015/06/10 17:01:17
Current time:  2015/06/30 17:58:07

Type: Public
Branch: Stable
Version: 1.46.131175

Allocator: Windows
=====================================================================

17:58:07 ManagerConfig()

1LT (Ret) Ryan

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
If you can access Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) shut down explorer.exe and then run a new task of explorer.exe.

That's the only workaround I've found, it happens to me only during long MP sessions though, so yours might be different.

And mine only happens AFTER i exit the game.
J. RYAN
1LT, USA
Retired

A. Davis

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the idea but I cannot switch to any other program after Arma locks up.

A. Davis

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
While looking for something totally different I found a ton of old 15th pbo files in my appdata folder.  Does anyone have any idea if these might be causing my problem??  Either way I have deleted any and all pbo files from this folder that do not have to do specifically with the 506th.  I will keep you updated if this helps.

A. Davis

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
Ok gentlemen.  I am at a complete loss on how to fix this.  Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to solve this crash issue?

E. Ray

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
Try the command switch -malloc=system.

Also, you're allocating a pretty low amount of RAM for ArmA with your maxMem=2048 switch. You technically meet ArmA 3's minimum requirements, but the minimum requirements didn't have 506th servers in mind. You may need to add more RAM on your system. I think the symptoms you're describing is a memory leak or a memory related issue.

MSG (Ret) Main

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Retired
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »

these are found in the user directory
C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Local\Arma 3
J. MAIN
MSG, USA
Retired

Hopp

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
Hey there Ashes,

Actually I am not getting any error's at all.  My computer locks up and I have to shut it down and restart everything.  I can still hear everyone in TS.  That is my issue is there are no messages or warnings just a frozen screen and lots of 4 letter words.

Happens to me at least once an operation, guaranteed.  However, it's a server/client hiccup that will actually resolve itself with no user input.  The game will suddenly freeze and any maps or gps windows open will get draw errors.  Teamspeak glitches and TFAR no longer resolves distance, thus pushing you back out to hearing global TS.  This is when I can hear MAJ Drumheller and PLT Leadership cursing into their mics, as this is usually taking place during a very high server load/firefight or other significant emotional event.  MAJ Drumheller has pointed this out during several debriefs, usually asking the Ares/MCC operator why the server went to Zero FPS and then what remedial action they took to fix it (usual answer: cleaning up dead bodies).  It can take up to 2 minutes for the Ares operator to recognize high server load and to take action to fix it.  Patience will let you pick right up where you left off without a disconnect.  Ask my teammates about my freezing up and then rejoining as this has happened in Red Hammer 01, 02, and 03. 

Recommended action: Patience.  Do not speak into TFAR as you are now on global. 

A. Davis

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
16 gig of 3400 isn't enough to run Arma??

Try the command switch -malloc=system.

Also, you're allocating a pretty low amount of RAM for ArmA with your maxMem=2048 switch. You technically meet ArmA 3's minimum requirements, but the minimum requirements didn't have 506th servers in mind. You may need to add more RAM on your system. I think the symptoms you're describing is a memory leak or a memory related issue.

A. Davis

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
As I stated in a previous post they have no data.

these are found in the user directory
C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Local\Arma 3

A. Davis

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 01:46:34 PM »
Next event I will try to see how long it takes to solve itself. I wouldn't think this is the issue due to the fact this issue happens in small fireteam trainings with no AI on the map.

Hey there Ashes,

Happens to me at least once an operation, guaranteed.  However, it's a server/client hiccup that will actually resolve itself with no user input.  The game will suddenly freeze and any maps or gps windows open will get draw errors.  Teamspeak glitches and TFAR no longer resolves distance, thus pushing you back out to hearing global TS.  This is when I can hear MAJ Drumheller and PLT Leadership cursing into their mics, as this is usually taking place during a very high server load/firefight or other significant emotional event.  MAJ Drumheller has pointed this out during several debriefs, usually asking the Ares/MCC operator why the server went to Zero FPS and then what remedial action they took to fix it (usual answer: cleaning up dead bodies).  It can take up to 2 minutes for the Ares operator to recognize high server load and to take action to fix it.  Patience will let you pick right up where you left off without a disconnect.  Ask my teammates about my freezing up and then rejoining as this has happened in Red Hammer 01, 02, and 03. 

Recommended action: Patience.  Do not speak into TFAR as you are now on global.