Author Topic: Recruiting Still Closed?  (Read 11754 times)

Gray

Recruiting Still Closed?
« on: January 03, 2015, 02:20:10 AM »
Greetings,

I'm Kyle Gray, 18, from the states. I started gaining more interest in this unit after playing a little bit with the 15th MEU. Just curious if there are any news on the recruiting info. (Ex. Possible time that recruitment will start again.)

VandeVord

Re: Recruiting Still Closed?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:29 AM »
While not official news by any means, my gut feels like after today (Saturday the 3rd) they might open it up again some time in the next 7 days (3rd-10th). We're currently on winter stand down because of Christmas and New Years but it ends today. Again not official news just water cooler talk/gut feeling since we do need more people to fill out.

CPT Drumheller

• 18A Special Forces Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
We are far over unit capacity as it is. Do not expect to see recruitment opened again any time soon.
J. DRUMHELLER
CPT, SF
Commanding Officer, ODA 5221, Co B\2-5th SFG

Gray

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:51:14 AM »
Alright thanks for the heads up.

O'Dette

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
I just hope there's room for me come this summer. I'm buying a gaming computer so I can join up, and I should have the money by June of this coming year, if not before that.

PFC (Ret) Tardo

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
We are far over unit capacity as it is. Do not expect to see recruitment opened again any time soon.

Darn was hoping some of you guys from the 15th would start up a Army unit. Had to leave the 15th due to a house fire and moving. Missed the opportunity to sign up. Hopefully one day you guys will expand.
J. TARDO
PFC, USA
Retired

O'Dette

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll open things up again.

As far as I can tell, they have two platoons for two Companies, which means they still have a third company (may I suggest the callsign "Eagle" for your third company, by the way? I need to call "Eagle Six" at least once in my ArmA career...) to open, as well as fill out the third platoon for both of the existing companies.

Besides, this is a Regiment, and we've barely reached a Battalion, and if I remember correctly, it's three battalions to a regiment. With time, there'll be room for all of us.

Dickerson

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 09:33:26 PM »
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll open things up again.

As far as I can tell, they have two platoons for two Companies, which means they still have a third company (may I suggest the callsign "Eagle" for your third company, by the way? I need to call "Eagle Six" at least once in my ArmA career...) to open, as well as fill out the third platoon for both of the existing companies.

Besides, this is a Regiment, and we've barely reached a Battalion, and if I remember correctly, it's three battalions to a regiment. With time, there'll be room for all of us.

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself.

PFC (Ret) H. Hansen

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
ODette I hope you realise that at this point we don't have the necessary people to open up 3 whole battallions...
H. HANSEN
PFC, USA
Retired

SFC (Ret) Loster

• 11B4O Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 10:36:19 PM »

Eventually, we foresee adding 3rd platoons to each company and going to 1 Task Force on Saturday and 2 on Sunday of each week. This will very likely be the operational limit of the 506th. Two full companies, operating on 6 Task Forces on alternating weekends. The task forces will remain 64 man capped to insure maximum performance for large scale operations.

In all likelihood we will be 2 companies, 3 platoons each, with each 3rd platoon running saturday ops. In addition to our supporting assets, that's likely going to be it as far as recruiting and expanding goes.
R. LOSTER
SFC, USA
Retired

O'Dette

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 11:42:49 PM »
I don't think a more-or-less permanent recruitment cap is a good idea.

As long as there is demand for joining, and you are capable of allowing people to continue joining, you shouldn't say "that's it". To do that prevents new talent from entering the pool, as well as disappoints anyone who really wants to be a part of the unit, but there isn't the room to fit him in.

I think it'd be in HQ's best interest to continue opening platoons and companies when possible so that the unit can continue to expand. To do anything else, in my opinion, would be unfair to those who weren't able to fit in this certain niche of open recruiting.

SGM (Ret) Shepard

• 11Z Infantry Senior Sergeant
  • Retired
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 11:53:37 PM »

There won't be any expansion past two companies. Command Staff has discussed this thoroughly and made the decision to stop recruitment once that point has been reached. You are delusional to think that it's feasible for a community existing off of donations to sustain anything over a battalion.
A. SHEPARD
SGM, USA
Retired

CPT (Ret) Nagel

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Retired
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:19:46 AM »
The following is my personal beliefs and do not speak for the unit or command staff.

A lot of people under estimate the logistical aspect to running a unit, especially one similar to the scale that this is already at. First and foremost is money. The obvious respond to this would be "more people = more donations". While that is technically true. You would be surprised to see with the amount of donations that come in, how hard it is still to pay servers, the website, TeamSpeak, and other things that go along with it. Donors and stuff that needs to be payed don't scale similarly. The price of things vs the amount of people that those support is not proportional.

For example, if it costs a unit of 100 people, $100.
It does not cost a unit of 200 people, $200.
Granted this is just a made up example, it would probably cost closer to $350 for 200 people.

Another thing that people don't realize is the additional just sheer man power that goes behind it. People don't do this as their jobs. Because we don't only simulate military customs in game, but out of game, there is a large amount of "clerical" work that goes with it. I know me personally, just helping out, I have put about 120-140 hours into working on things, and I can't imagine what all the behind the scenes things command staff has done that members don't see. There is no reason to outgrow something based on interested, especially when people can easily come and go. There are still much infrastructure that is yet to be built. And the unit shouldn't be running before its at the track meet.

Lastly is the idea that we shouldn't limit our player based. I personally disagree with that. The matter of the fact, is that the unit being more "exclusive" will do two things. It will allow the people who want to be here, be here. Those people will work to get here. And secondly, it will increase retention. Over time, the player base that is here, are the ones who are truly dedicated to the way we play, and what we do. This will cause less disciplinary issues, higher attendance, more people who will likely volunteer their time, etc.

Personally, the last thing I would want to see is the unit growing based on interest. I'd rather see the unit grow based on leadership and other aspects like "hey, we got the logistical power, the monetary power, the interest, and I think SGT Victory would make a good leader" rather than "well damn, there are a lot of people who want to join, we gotta open another platoon". 

Does any of these mean the unit can't grow past that? No, if there are the means, it can be done. But from 1SG Shepard's post,  it doesn't sound like it, and has been debated for some time.

Again, these are just my personal opinions on the size of the unit and recruitment.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:22:55 AM by SSgt Nagel »
D. NAGEL
CPT, USA
Retired

O'Dette

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:28 AM »
I side with Nagel on this one.

Opening new platoons based on need, interest, but most importantly, "can we do it and do we have the right guy to lead it" is a far better choice than just capping it off.

Again, is it fair to those who want to join to say "sorry, we're full more or less for forever"?

G. E. Miller

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57:59 AM »
I side with Nagel on this one.

Opening new platoons based on need, interest, but most importantly, "can we do it and do we have the right guy to lead it" is a far better choice than just capping it off.

Again, is it fair to those who want to join to say "sorry, we're full more or less for forever"?

This is my opinion and not from command staff.

Any unit have a capacity limit, due to infrastructure, economy and organization. Quality instead of quantity is something I see in this unit. Is it fair for those that want in, probably not. But the unit cannot be held responsible for fairness, when this is the overall plan they choose to go for?